The Subject of Food

The Subject of Food Have you noticed the mass number of opinions when it comes to food? People from all walks of life are united when it comes to eating and yet divided when it comes to the question of what.

Just look at all the different diets out there today. From Atkins to Weight Watchers to South Beach and everything in between. Now we have whole tribes of foodies – Weston A Price Foundation and Paleo and Vegans just to name some of the big ones.

On the side of Paleo, they have a rule of no dairy of any kind.

On the Weston A. Price side, it’s raw dairy and lots of it.

On the Vegan side, it depends on if they eat any kind of animal by-products as to whether milk would be okay.

Who’s right? Does it matter? Are these diets/lifestyle choices the things that we should really be debating? 0

Ah, I can hear you now. “Of course it matters.” Your blood pressure is already raising, isn’t it? You’re ready to skip to the bottom of this post to put in your comment/defense of your food choices. Right?

I see the differences of food opinion even within my own family. My mom eats yogurt every single day for lunch. If I did that, I would be sick. Does that mean my intolerance for dairy, even raw, is a weakness? Or does that mean that she hasn’t yet realized the effects it may be taking on her body?

Ipod Pics 443One of my siblings has been quoted as saying, “I don’t care what I eat. If it tastes good, I like it. If I die from eating unhealthy, I don’t care.” Is this shocking to you? Or maybe you agree.

See what I mean? There are so many schools of thoughts, and it’s hard to tell who is right and who is most definitely wrong. Although I’m sure we each have strong opinions on this.

This blog post certainly won’t decide it today either. That’s not my intention.

Over the years, I have discovered in more ways than one, the healing properties of food. I have seen autoimmune disorders, cancers and even behavioral issues all solved by changing one’s diet.

I am someone who has first hand experience of the power of food. For me it was the battle against active Lyme disease. With the guidance of a nutritionist, I followed a very strict anti-inflammatory plus some diet to help stop the growth of Lyme in my body. It was very similar to the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol.

It worked. It took time and I also had other minerals and vitamins added in, but it worked. I have friends who have followed other food protocols in search of healing and they found success as well.

Ipod Pics 424So rather than debate who is right and who is wrong, instead let’s focus on the positive aspects of food. I think we can all agree on these three things:

1. Food is healing.
  2. Food is needed for energy in life.
  3. Eating a meal with someone makes an ordinary visit special.

I find it interesting that even in the Bible, the apostle Paul writes, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” – 1 Cor 10:31.

Food is a beautiful thing. It sustains us, it gives us health, and fuels our energy to be used in all manner of wonderful things.

Today, let’s celebrate the beauty of food.

In the comments, share how you have been touched or healed by food. Or if you haven’t yet experienced its physical healing powers, share about a meal that was meaningful to you in an emotional way. Perhaps its a special tradition your family holds or one particular time that touched you.

Happy Friday!

SheriPermalink

9 Responses to The Subject of Food

1. Audrey says:

Amen!! Thank you for the reminder to walk in unity. 🙂

2. Margie Mason says:

We are actually at the beginning of our journey. This topic is something that God had begun to really convict us about too. Coincidentally He is allowing us to walk a similar path with Lymes. My husband visited the farm last year after reading Joel Saltin’s book, ” Folks This Ain’t normal” and felt like he had seen the promise land. God has been faithful and timely, even though we have doubted at times. We plan on finalizing the sale of our beautiful, big suburban home in MD and trying to buy a quaint piece of land wherever God shows us. One step at a time we are believing God for big things and healthy food to serve all who will eat around our table. Thank you for sharing, inspiring, and leading a generation to Christ through what God has richly blessed your family with!

3. Rachel says:

I agree. Even the preparing of food can be a healing act. To take the time to mindfully think through a menu, chop veggies, consider colors and textures and the various tastebuds of my family (we are expecting our 11th in June)…it has become an enjoyable, creative, energizing (albeit often harried!) process.

4. Ruth says:

Beautiful post!

5. Kelly says:

I agree but I haven’t found the correct diet yet. I have Chronic Lyme Disease too and I’ve tried Paleo and Weston A. Price feeling that it’s as close to how God created our bodies so it should be the best for us. If I follow the Paleo Autoimmune Diet you mention, do you think I will have similar results?

6. clairemalibu says:

Food has been my healer, and can bring me back to feeling tip top, when I stray into too much healthy-sugary foods, or grains. I tend to feel hung over then.

Since I learned to live by The Body Ecology Diet, by Donna Gates, http://www.bodyecology.com, bringing cultured foods into my diet, alkalizing, acidifying, contractive and expansive principles into my awareness, I have more choice about how I can balance what I eat to feel my best. It integrated nicely the many paths I had tried, vegan, vegetarian, and now, omnivore happy-meat-eating, using just the wisdom that applies to my body and brain’s needs for optimal fuel, cleansing, detoxing, and building energy, plus she, Donna Gates, emphasizes the need for rest. That really helped me. 8 hours of sleep or letting my body wake up when it wants to, by going to bed way too early, reveals the intelligence of the body to know exactly what it needs. Cultured young coconut water is miraculous, as are cultured vegetables, and so easy to make and keep in the fridge. It really supports digestion of nutrients which in turn feeds the brain best.

7. Geoff Wright says:

Eat as though your life depends on it

8. Pingback: Family Food Adventure | Polyface Hen House

9. Pingback: Winner to the Homegrown Paleo Cookbook Giveaway! | Polyface Hen House