Organizing the Kitchen

For several months now, I’ve had the urge to re-organize my kitchen. It’s been a really long time since I’ve done a thorough “go-through”. I’ve cleaned it, yes. But throwing away things that are broken or missing lids? Nope, not for many years.

I knew it was going to be a major undertaking. I wanted to rearrange the way that I had things placed. So sorting through one cabinet at a time was definitely not going to work.

So I began by taking EVERYTHING out of my cabinets and putting in piles.

Things were sorted by Baking, Cooking Utensils, Serving Utensils, Food Storage, Bowls, Plates, Cups, etc…

The kids were a big help and thought it lots of fun to tear everything apart.

Then I looked at the kitchen:

IMG_1507IMG_1509Oh Help!

I called my best friend and she said, “Good time to stop for a coffee break.”

Ha! Some help that is. πŸ™‚

Then methodically, I cleaned out all of the shelves and started putting everything back.

IMG_1513IMG_1514IMG_1517

Seriously, the last little odds and ends were the hardest.

But NOW!! NOW my kitchen is beautiful, clean and organized!

IMG_1510IMG_1511And just in time too…last night started our 2 weeks of intern check outs. We invited 50 wannabe farmers to come for a 2 day interview. So for the next two weeks, I will be doing nothing but cooking three meals per day for these 50 fineΒ  farming folks. πŸ™‚

IMG_1512And THIS is my world for the next few weeks.

What room is on your to-do list?00

Happy Friday!

Sheri, Permalink

12 Responses to Organizing the Kitchen

1. farmmom says:

I love your kitchen!! I have heard of how you all built the house with your own lumber. It is really beautiful. Thank you for letting us all have a peek. The basement is my to-do room this winter. Wish I could just drag it all out and only put back what I wanted but I think my boys would have something to say about moving all that “stuff”.

2. Linda says:

I love this post. I love seeing the many different kinds of dishes, the numerous utensils, the cookware, bakeware, serveware, knives, containers, small and large appliances, and every thing else that has a culinary purpose. I love the coffee cups on cup hooks that lets folks know they can help themselves. I love the pig on top of the corner cabinet, the cow on top of the refrigerator, the rolling pin hung on the wall. and the patch work runner on the large farm table that can seat many. I love the large space in your kitchen that allows more than one cook, and can even accommodate small goats in a pen for a short time until they can be safely put in pasture. I love seeing pictures of kitchens like this, because I can almost smell the aroma of real food being prepared and cooked. Kitchens like yours are fun especially when family and friends gather together to eat and visit because bursts of laughter are common. I love seeing a kitchen that was built with love and is lovingly used to fulfill the needs of a family.
    The kitchen is my favorite room in my home and It was a pleasure to see your kitchen. Thank you for sharing.

3. Rose says:

Your home is SO. BEAUTIFUL. I love your ceilings so much.

My whole house is on my to-do list. >_< I've been gradually going through and cleaning/purging room by room, but it never seems to be enough!

I love stalking you – errrr reading your posts. Just FYI. ;D

4. Jubilee Ward says:

It is beautiful, Sheri! Way to go!
    Happy checkouts! I’ll always remember my checkout oh so fondly. I remember eating really yummy potato soup in your kitchen. πŸ™‚ It was made with Leanna’s potatoes, and LOTS of cheese! Memorable, Sheri, Memorable. πŸ™‚ You go, Girl! πŸ˜€

5. Jessica T says:

Love your kitchen and all that space! Ours is very tiny compared.

All of our rooms need a deep clean! Today I started in our bedroom. It was a disaster area. I’m not done, but it looks so much better now.

6. Meg says:

So great that you included the first two photos showing the chaos at the beginning. Great results! You will enjoy cooking in that beautiful kitchen for the interns and family.

On another note…I have been looking online for your recipe rendering lard in the crock pot. Can you direct my search? Thanks Sheri!

7. Kevin Franck says:

I love those photos of the kitchen. Over here in Sweden everything is about IKEA, which for me is boring cold and sterile, like most all modern day Scandinavian Design.

@ Meg, I’m going to use that line you wrote with a different twist, “rendering lard in a crack pot.”

Not sure how I’ll use it yet, but I am constantly at odds with Pro-GMO shills, Hmmm the possibilities

Off topic and I understand you don’t watch TV, but there was something online at the Intelligence Squared Debates website titled, “Genetically Modify Foods” – Personally I wish Joel Salatin [representing successful holistic practicing Farmers] and Canadian Geneticist David Suzuki [Active anti-GMO campaigner] made up the Sustainable Organics Team which went against Team Monsanto. The Monsanto side didn’t really bring out any new material. They employed the same Definition Shells Games, Citation Bluffing and We have Consensus behind us Affirmation. In any event I was so disturbed in watching the poor performance of the Anti-GMO Team, that I had to write about what they should have presented forth as real world organic science and practical application which does exist and is successful.

– Still Salatin-Suzuki would have been a great Team.

8. Olivia says:

I am seriously impressed with your major cleaning and organizing job! And I love your kitchen!

I loosely follow flylady for my cleaning and organizing. She recommends working in different zones in your home for a week at a time for 15 minutes a day in addition to a few chores that are done every day. On days that I have more time, I do a little more. On my busier days, I do the minimum.

9. ali says:

Hello, thansk for sharing this, really i like your kitchen It is beautiful , i will try to do the same organization in my house πŸ™‚

10. Mim says: