During this time of year, I like to open the floor to you to ask questions about our Polyface internship.
Right now through Aug 10, we are accepting requests for applications for next summer’s season. June 1 – September 30, 2015.
To apply, you will need to visit our webpage.
Copied directly from the Polyface Farm Apprentice page, here’s the general information about our Summer Internship program.
Polyface Summer Internship
Spend a summer with us and leave years ahead, or stay on to move up in the Polyface team.
June 1-September 30 (no exceptions)
- Bright eyed, bushy-tailed, self-starter, eager-beaver, situationally aware, go-get-‘em, teachable, positive, non-complaining, grateful, rejoicing, get’er done, dependable, faithful, perseverant, take-responsibility, clean-cut boy-girl appearance characters. We are very, very, very discriminatory.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at start of internship.
- Requires a 2 day checkout prior to acceptance.
- Required time is June 1-Sept. 30.
- Work 5 days per week, off two days except every third week, which is a 7-day week. Sundays are usually chores only and Saturdays are minimal.
- Room and most board provided and you can eat, within reason, from the Polyface larder (no filet mignon lunches, please). Prepare your own breakfast and lunch. Evening meals Monday-Friday provided communally with the Salatins. Accommodations include a full kitchen, bath, and bunk-style sleeping quarters.
- Quarters do not include phone or internet, although the sales building has high speed wireless.
- Expectations: like any experience, you will get out of it what you put into it. We have attainable benchmarks, but they require effort and sweat. Physically, you will be in better shape than you ever thought possible. Emotionally, you will know what you did today, why it was important, and feel great about it.
- Stipend of $100 per month for incidentals. Polyface invests heavily in the physical, emotional, and mental needs of this opportunity; it’s the most education for the money you’ll ever receive.
- Warning: you will be sore, ache, dead tired, and be sick for 3 days in your first two weeks. Once you get acclimated, you’ll be more physically fit than you’ve ever been in your life. But it won’t feel good getting there.
- Maximum number, 9 interns due to accommodation and work limitations.
Fields of Farmers
Last year, Joel put out a book on our mentoring program. If you have any seen it or read it yet, you should definitely check it out. You can purchase directly from Polyface here, ask for it at your local bookstore or find it on Amazon below.
Okay, so now it’s your turn. Any questions regarding the Polyface internship?
Anything you want to discuss regarding your own farm’s program?
Let’s have a little chat.