The Chicks Have ARRIVED

Anticipation was brimming despite the drizzling rain as Miriam called the post office early in the morning…

“Hello?”

“Hi Heather, this is Miriam.”

“Hey, I was just going to call you! Your chicks are here! They’re so cute, I peaked at a couple of them!”

0219140833

Daniel and we three apprentices (Jonathan, Miriam, and I) went to the Swoope post office as soon as we were done with morning chores.0219140820 There they were – 22oo brand new laying hen chicks… Just hatched the day before. 0219140817

We brought them home and put them in the brooder.

0219140840a 0219140840b

As soon as they warmed up they started exploring their new home! We have Barred Rocks, silver laced wyandottes, and buff orpingtons. I agree with Heather – They’re pretty cute!

0219140846a 0219140848

0220141004 Have a happy Monday!

What are you most looking forward to in Spring?

About Hannah Hale

Hannah hails from McComb, Mississippi, where she farmed with her parents and three sisters. Home-schooled all her life, she grew up helping her grandfather on his Black Angus farm and working with her family to raise dairy goats, laying hens, and bees. Her love for animals blossomed through her involvement in 4-H and cattle showing. Hannah discovered Polyface through a lecture by Joel, and while reading his book You Can Farm, she realized that her life-long dream of farming could become a reality. The summer of 2013 saw Hannah a Polyface intern, and she was subsequently chosen to become an apprentice. Now married, Hannah helps her husband as they work as Polyface rental-farm managers. She is thrilled to have the opportunity to be part of the Polyface team and learn from the best. In the future, Hannah wants to farm full-time and keep Jesus central in her life.
Hannah, , Permalink

16 Responses to The Chicks Have ARRIVED

1. Amy Swiney says:

I have 25 chicks arriving later this week. I cannot imagine 2200 chicks!

2. Beverly says:

The chicks are adorable! Thanks for showing us all that goes into preparing for them.

3. Talaye says:

We are incubating our own this year. It has been a fun experience! Unfortunately we picked the coldest winter to start this as it’s -10 right now 🙂

4. Joy H. says:

That is so completely sweet! I miss having chickens so badly. <3

5. Now I know why I McMurray doesn’t have silver laced Wyandotte hens available until June. They are my pick but I might have to go with Columbian Wyandotte’s so that I can get my chicks in April 🙁 I’ll be watching your pullet pictures jealously

6. Best of luck with the new brood. Another Spring has arrived and just in time. .

7. Kristin Szakos says:

Where do your chicks come from?

8. Staci Wallingford says:

Hannah, Sounds like a silly question, but do you show your day old chicks how to use the nipple waterers or do they just know how? I tried them with my older hens and they couldn’t get it. We are getting 75 layer chicks in a few weeks and hadn’t thought a thing about the nipples until I noticed yours. I may give it another shot. Thanks and God bless!

• Hannah Miller says:

Staci – We don’t show them how to use the nipple drinkers, they just figure it out… The day we put the chicks in the brooder we did give them a couple of small regular chicken drinkers just to make sure they could all find plenty of water…

• Staci Wallingford says:

Thanks Hannah! I will give it another shot then and see how they do. I hope your day is a beautiful one.

9. Kristin says:

Awww! 1-2 day old chicks are so cute! Little birdlings. How long before they get to be out on the grass? I’m most looking forward to warmer weather and sunshine this spring. Bring it on!

10. Rose says:

That just might be the cutest little girl in the entire world. Just sayin’!

11. Olivia Persinger says:

I am so excited about getting fifteen of my own chicks this April!
    Hannah, how much do you feed them every day? Thank you all so much for teaching me so much!

12. Rob says:

What kind of sawdust/mix do you put your chicks in?

What about the layer hoop houses – what is that mulch made of?