What’s On Your Needles?

Or in other words, for all you non-knitters out there,”what are you working on?” For me this is a loaded question. I love knitting (and crochet too for all you fellow hookers out there). Turning something from a ball of yarn into a cute, lacy, or practical item is uplifting and inspiring. I currently have three knitting projects on my needles just waiting for me to complete. It’s not that I don’t finish what I start, but I’ll begin one pattern then see another I really like or one of my friends or family members will have a baby and I  MUST decide to set aside what I am working on and start something new. Part of the problem is I am an admitted pattern and yarn addict. I have a Ravelry library full of items I want to make and let us not even talk about Pinterest. Pinterest and I have a love/hate relationship because, let’s face it, I will never cook, bake, build, craft, knit, crochet or sew half of the amazing pins I have managed to collect.

Also interesting to note, the only items I have ever knit for myself have been when I am pregnant. My first pair of socks with Nicolaus, a sweater with Carleigh and I am desperately trying to finish this scarf for which I have had the yarn since 2012.

2014_02_07_9999

Once complete. I can begin a hat and blanket for their sister. I made one for both of them so it seems only right to continue the tradition.

nicolausbaby 2010_05_16_2567 (2)

In addition, I need to finish a pair of gloves which were supposed to be a Christmas present for John. You can find the 1942 American Red Cross Pattern here.

2014_02_07_9999_2

Any “purls” of wisdom from seasoned knitters on ways to complete projects? And I know this problem isn’t limited to knitters. I have plenty of talented friends who hoard patterns, fat quarters and reams of fabric like they are going out of style. Oh, and Mom, I’ll finish your cable-knit cashmere purse as soon as I get the pillowcase dress you began sewing for Carleigh when she was an infant. **wink, wink**

Proverbs 31:10-13 (MSG)

A good woman is hard to find,
and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
and never has reason to regret it.
Never spiteful, she treats him generously
all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
and enjoys knitting and sewing.

About Tammy Pedersen

Tammy is married to John Pedersen, manager of Briarmoore and Grass Stain Tour extraordinaire. She is blessed to be able to stay at home with her three children. When not busy with farming and homeschool, Tammy can be found with knitting needles or crochet hook in hand, reading or writing. Someday she hopes to combine her love of travel with mission work.
Untagged, Permalink

12 Responses to What’s On Your Needles?

1. Only a couple. Always have a knitting bag with an UnFinished Object (UFO) packed and ready to grab. I leave it near my purse and ALWAYS take it with me on the go if I even have to hear towards my car. I also find that sitting down at the end of the day is a great knitting time prior to bed. One doesn’t have to knit very long at a time as long as one consistently knits a bit every day, or everyother. I knit in meetings, while listening intently to tv, while my kids are asking their gazillion questions, etc. Knitting is a focus tool when used in this fashion and it allows one to multi-task. HTH, Diane

• Tammy Pedersen says:

The UFO bag is a great idea…I used to be better at taking projects with me. Then kids came, along with a diaper bag filled with all sorts of “necessary” items and my projects got kicked out. The later evening hours have offered the best knitting times for me lately as well.

2. Kristin says:

I’m working on a decorative scarf at the moment, to sell in our Etsy shop, I hope! Yes, some projects can be hard to complete! It appears that you’re doin’ great on your knitting, though. I usually do very simple projects.

3. Judy Whitaker says:

You are my inspiration! Love Mom

4. Lori says:

I am so happy that you are still crocheting! I just started a new blanket for the BugMan and a little valentine love! Looks like you are settling in well! So happy for you guys!

• Tammy Pedersen says:

Crochet has actually become my “go-to” craft since it is a bit quicker. I had a great teacher!

5. Kat says:

I have too many things on needles right now, but the big, focused project is a cardigan sweater for my MIL. I hope to make one for myself, too, and possibly share the pattern at some point, if i get it to come out right.

6. Ms. Daisy says:

I like to have quick projects, maybe I need positive reinforcement? 😉 I can whip up crocheted hats quickly, so I enjoy doing those. I just learned how to knit this year (from youtube) and since it is new, I have a lot of energy to knit, but I don’t know how to do much of anything except for things that are rather square or rectangular. I haven’t learned how to do hats or circular things yet. I did make some fingerless gloves, though, since those are rectangular and just wrap around your wrist and hand (and then I stitched the sides closed except for a thumb hole.) I just began knitting something and I don’t know what it will be yet, but it is multicolored as I am using up some small balls of yarn I have laying around for fun.

7. Gretchen R says:

I’ve learned to embrace the multiple project “problem.” I’ve actually started designing knitting patterns, and I have a tough time ONLY working on one project. I like to have various projects in various stages. For instance, casting on a project requires a lot of counting. I have 5 children, so counting up to 156 stitches without being interrupted is impossible. So starting projects is a nighttime activity. However, plain stitching is easy to do when quizzing the kids in spelling or listening to a piano lesson. So I like to have a project or two in the “mindless” stage. Then there’s the sitting by the fire time. I can do patterned stitches or color work that can be paused, or it’s good for when we’re watching something terribly boring on t.v. like a football game. It keeps the brain engaged, but not too overpowering. So I have at least 4 projects on the needles at all times, and actually struggle when I have any less than that, because I find my hands idle too often because I don’t have a project that suits a particular time. I’d love to see your stuff on Ravelry! I’m “nerdygerdy” on there.

• Tammy Pedersen says:

Gretchen,
      I just visited your website and love it! Your designs are amazing and your family lovely. Nice to “meet” you.

8. Katie Benz says:

I only know how to knit one simple stich so my projects have been limited to Scarves and dish clothes. I am hoping to learn to knit a little fancier as well as to crochet. I find knitting very relaxing and a great way to pass the time!

9. Pam Barone says:

UFO #1 is a blue wool scarf, UFO #2 is a multi-color washable wool scarf, UFO #3 is a wool/cotton sweater. Actually only the sleeves are getting knitted right now. I always knit the sleeves first. Bragging on a friend: she makes scarves combining yarns of her choice. On Saturday she took a cobalt blue multiple yarn scarf, and lined it with an embroidered silk because she found the finished scarf was a little scratchy on the neck. I’m begging her to take a picture!