Interrupted by Snow

I’m interrupting our schedule Fields of Farmers Discussion to share about the snow. 🙂

We had about 24 inches of snowfall overnight Wednesday and throughout most of the day Thursday.

Here’s what I awoke to yesterday morning:

It was a black and white world out there. 🙂

Later in the day, the snow just kept on coming.

We prepared for this snowstorm on Tuesday and Wednesday. Extra hay to the cows, propped empty broiler pens to withstand the weight of heavy snow and moved things to the barns as needed. Of course the hoophouses are still nice and warm 🙂

At home, we brought lost of extra firewood inside. Our only source of heat is our woodstove and I LOVE it. 🙂 We never have to worry about not being warm when the power goes out. And because we live up against the Allegheny mountains, we have a surplus supply of firewood.

I have enjoyed the slower pace of the last 2 days. It’s given me some time to do some quilting 🙂

How’s the weather in your neck of the country?

Did you have to make any special preparations for this storm?

Happy Friday!

Sheri, Permalink

16 Responses to Interrupted by Snow

1. Wendy Ward says:

Hi Sheri, I just heard Joel talking on our local radio in Tasmania so decided to look up your web site, very interesting. Hope you all survive this storm ok.
    Regards Wendy.

2. Melinda says:

Our snow from Nika just melted today! We are suppose to be in the 60’s here in southern Kansas and after two weeks of the temps hovering in the single digits during the day and negative temps at night, plus snow on the ground through it all, we are READY for a break!

3. Erin Herner says:

I think all the bad weather went south of us in Chicago this time. I’m looking forward to next week’s promises of high 40s…. I want all the snow to melt and spring to come so the garden can start.

• Sheri Salatin says:

I say that, but then I think of the things that I like to get done during winter break and it makes me want winter to stay just a while longer. 🙂

• Erin Herner says:

well, the 40s may come later this week, but today we’re getting 5-8 inches of snow… so… back to poring over crop plans, reading gardening books and working on orders from Johnnys…

4. Jane says:

Southwestern Ontario, Canada hasn’t had a winter like this one since 1977. The Great Lakes have 80% ice coverage due to the frigid temperatures…our lowest temp. in January was -40F with the wind chill. The snow pack and ice cover are benefits as water levels have been declining for years. We’re expecting another 6 inches of snow on Monday and warming toward the end of the week which may bring rain and consequent flooding.

I have a Jamaican friend (who only lives here in the summer) who says Mother Nature gives us exactly what we need, not what we want!

5. Rose says:

Ah, so beautiful! Our snow just melted and we’ve got 50’s and 60’s scheduled for the rest of the week (in NE Oklahoma). No special preparations here, lol!

Completely off topic, but I thought you all might laugh to know that my husband just bought me “Pigs ‘n Glens” for Valentine’s Day. I could not be more thrilled! Can’t wait until it arrives and I can curl up and indulge in some Polyface awesomeness.

• Sheri Salatin says:

Haha, that is funny. Almost as romantic as falling in love with my hubby while butchering chickens!! 🙂

6. Kristin says:

Yes! We got snow, actually 3 days in a row. I dont remember ever having that happen in my life before. So cool! Our land is quite flat, so we went down to the local hill at the interstate and had some fun!

• Sheri Salatin says:

Sledding is so much fun. 🙂 My kids pretty much live for it. Well, that and ice skating on the ponds, which doesn’t happen as often as sledding does.

• Kristin says:

Wow! ice skating?! I wish we could do that around here–never quite cold enough to hold much weight.

7. Olivia Persinger says:

I love SNOW ! ! !
    We got about 20 inches! In some places we had about three feet from the drifts.