Housing, housing, housing. It would be such a simple (mostly) thing without all those regulations. Housing is what kept us from having girl interns and apprentices for a very long time. We were finally able to find some loopholes in our county laws to put up additional legal housing on the farm.
We are not comfortable with co-ed housing. Never have been, never will be.
We need our own space. Interns in the house was not an option.
Let’s sidetrack on that for a second. I think this is a very real issue that many folks don’t think much about. If you’re a people person, having interns in the house doesn’t sound all that bad. After all, you’re going to be vetting them and selecting oh-so-carefully, right? What could possibly be bad about that?
Remember, how we talked about being ready for interns? That it felt like you were living in a glass house? Well, you MUST have space to unwind. Space to not be “on”. Space to let down and relax. The same house doesn’t work for this.
On the flip side, your intern needs his or her own space too. For the same reasons you do. It doesn’t have to be much, it doesn’t have to be fancy, but it needs to be separate from your space.
In this chapter, Joel talks about all of the different ideas and brainstorms that we looked into for housing on our farm. I think you might get a kick out of them. 🙂
Then he lists the House Rules for our domiciles.
And he sums it up with this:
What do you think? Could you handle living with your boss?
Could you handle living with your employee?
How important is private space to you?
If you’re just tuning in, here’s what we’ve covered so far:
- Friday, November 8 – Discussion on Chapters 1 and 2 – “What’s the Big Deal?”
- Friday, November 15 – Discussions on Chapters 3 and 4 – “Especially for Mentors, Part 1”
- Friday, November 22 – Discussion on Chapters 5 and 6 – “Especially for Mentors, Part 2″
- Friday, January 10 – Discussion on Chapter 7 – “Especially for Interns, Part 1″
- Friday, January 17 – Discussion on Chapter 8 – “Especially for Interns, Part 2″
- Friday, January 24 – Discussion on Chapter 9 – “How It Works – Vetting and Selecting”
- Friday, January 30 – Discussion on Chapter 10 – How It Works – Nuts & Bolts