The Home Stretch

We are finishing up all of our poultry processing here in the next few weeks and looking forward to a bit of a break from the busy season of farming.

I thought I’d share a video that my husband, Grady, made a couple months back.  Hope you enjoying seeing first hand what we do.  Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to respond asap.

What are you in the middle of this month?

About Erin Phelan

Born and raised in western Michigan, Erin came to Polyface first as an intern in the summer of 2009. While here she met and got to know Grady Phelan, an apprentice at the time. The next spring they were married and after a couple years in Oklahoma they are back, working as sub-contractors for Polyface. Erin keeps herself busy with the jobs of a wife and mother, as well as helping with the animals, gardening, sewing, cooking, baking, knitting and reading.
Erin, Permalink

19 Responses to The Home Stretch

1. Sally Oh says:

Where did you get those knives!!! I need one.

2. WOW! I envy your setup! We raise a few mix breed and heritage dual purpose birds and process them ourselves. No plucker, just all by hand. It takes me about 25-30 minutes a bird….so slow! We also raise ducks, geese and turkeys and we do them the same way.

• erinasheep says:

It is nice to have a great setup. I applaud you for doing the plucking by hand, but I guess if you aren’t doing very many than isn’t not worth the investment of buying a plucker…

3. Nicole Smith says:

Are the chickens still alive as they bleed out?

4. Oh it’s been a long summer with my poultry from running the first chicks back to the house after a freak snow and power outage to what I hope is a clean cull of the final batch in two weeks. Wouldn’t have it any other way however. We are truly fortunate.

5. Is this your normal scalder and plucker for your main processing, or is this on a smaller satellite farm? Would have expected the larger Poultryman setup or something similar. That evisceration table is awesome…but it helps tremendously!

6. Wife and I just finished getting our new chickens in place with a run and coop of their own – We are going to be following some of the Polyface techniques and put the rabbits over the chickens (soon as I build the new hutch)

7. That’s a really helpful video. For the sake of efficiency, not to mention sanitation, there is usually a division of labor between kill/scald/pluck and evisceration but the video shows the whole process clearly from start to finish.

• erinasheep says:

Glad you liked the video. Yes, we do usually have set people on each station, but it was just easier in making the video to have one person wearing the camera.

8. Kelly says:

Do you typically save only the liver or do you separate out other parts of the offal later? Thanks for the video!

9. Luke Turco says:

We just did our 100 birds for the family, we’re not quite as fast as you. But you can’ beat those pastured chickens. Thank you.

10. Olivia says:

I love the video! Great video!