Fields of Farmers

Cover--Fields of FarmersI am so excited about this book.

The biggest reason is because passing a heritage onto the next generation, helping people get started on their own farm and succeed at it, and shaping the future my kids will grow up in is a huge passion of mine. Daniel feels as strongly as I do.

The second reason – I LOVE people! I love understanding people, watching them grow and change, helping them learn. I love seeing expressions on faces when they get an “ah ha!” moment.

The third reason – I LOVE farming. I love healing the land, leaving it better than I found it. For me, farming is a calling, not just a job. We, at Polyface, take this calling very seriously and with much passion and love.

Interning, Mentoring, Partnering, Germinating.

These words thrill my heart.

Interning – it’s not free labor. It’s learning a new skill. Placing yourself under the tutelage of someone wiser than you. I consider myself an intern to Brie’s amazing cooking skill. I’m always learning something new from her. I appreciate the times that she lets me help her! 🙂

Mentoring – it’s not a dictatorship. It’s guiding. A little like how we approach parenting. There are times when my word is law (Don’t play in the street.) and other times when I simply guide them to making educated choices. (It’s cold outside, do you want your jacket?)

Partnering – it’s not being chained to another person. It’s a relationship. Like a marriage with two people walking side by side toward the same goals.

Germinating – it’s not overpowering. It’s instilling excitement and wonder into the next generation. It’s all the things above with that little extra dose of wonder. It’s planting a seed and helping it grow. It’s empowering.

Fields of Farmers Poster

Now, onto the real reason I wanted to talk about this book. Would you like to read this book with me? Discuss the different topics along the way?

We did this with Folks’, This Ain’t Normal and I thought the discussions and ideas with that book were very interesting.

I certainly don’t want to discuss this on my own. I would like your interest.

Have you read the book already? Great! You’ll be ready to jump in immediately?

Not read it yet? Well, we can take it slow enough for you to catch up.

What do you think? Do you want to have a read-along?

How fast/slow should we go? A couple of chapters per week, one chapter at a time? Just hit the big premises?

Let’s hear from you.

Happy Friday!

Sheri, , Permalink

20 Responses to Fields of Farmers

1. Mellisa says:

I LOVE the idea of a read along. I got the book at the Mother Earth News fair and I haven’t had a change to read it yet. I wanted to be done with canning first 🙂 Since I am almost done I am pretty sure I could squeeze it in. I’m up for any amount of ‘chapters’ etc.

~Mellisa

2. GrassFood says:

Dear Sheri, I love that idea! I bought this book about a month ago and it is sitting mournfully on the shelf waiting to be opened. Reading along with you all would be a treat. How are your son’s Khaki Campbell’s doing? Two of ours hatched out eggs this summer and I had thought they were all hens. About two weeks ago we had our first real frost and it seems that the next morning four of them developed the lovely male dark head and neck. Maybe it was just a coincidence. When those boys become “drake like” pretty soon, three of them will go into the freezer. 🙂

3. Adrea Ashley says:

I would LOVE to join in on a discussion about Fields of Farmers! I have started it, but I’m not very far into it. Mostly because every time I get another sentence or two read I have to call my dad and discuss it with him. There’s so much wonderful information in this book and so much MORE wonderful information in the minds of those other people reading it. As for how much, how fast. . . I prefer discussing the entire thing versus just the main topics, simply because sometimes there is big discussion to be had in the minor details. One, two, three chapters per week, whatever everyone else would like to do is fine with me. I’ll probably read the whole thing a few times over throughout the course of the discussion anyway.

4. I would love to join in the conversation! I have the book and have read three chapters. Being a mother of five homeschooling children and a 25 acre farm keep me busy, so maybe a couple of chapters a week?

5. I am very willing to comment and read along. I am about a third of the way through it right now.

6. Paul Ewing says:

I would be interested in doing a read along and discussion. I read about half the book when I go it, but it has been setting on the pile for a few weeks.

7. Bobbi says:

I just bought FOF and would love to join the discussion!

8. Patti says:

I just picked this book up today! I learn so much from Joel and the folks at Polyface as I plan my own farm model and adventure. Eventually, apprentices and interns will be part of the mix.

9. Leslie says:

I think this is a great idea. I’ve recently read both Pastured Poultry Profits and Folks, This Ain’t Normal. Question: is Fields of Farmers available on the Kindle?

Count me in! I have been so out of touch between school, home and recent back surgery I had not even seen this one yet. So very excited!

11. Erin Herner says:

Yes! I would love to read along and discuss it!

12. Erin Herner says:

Also, when I was shopping on Amazon for Field of Farmers, it recommended another book called Born Again Dirt… Have you seen it or read it? It looked really interesting.

• Sheri Salatin says:

I haven’t seen that one yet, Erin. Sounds interesting…

• I am reading it currently. Joel wrote the forward for it. It is a very good read. I would say it’s a bit more simply written than Joel’s books. However, the biblical explanations in relation to farming to the glory of God is really well done.

13. susan says:

My husband and I are fighting over this book – no, it’s because the book is so good! He’s almost done with it, and I’m about 25 pages behind. A chapter a week I think is probably just right for me. It’s getting rather cold here in upstate NY, so gardening is done, and the chickens are about ready to be brought in from their pastures (many different flocks!). So as soon as the snow flies, which I’m sure will be soon, I’ll be ready! This book has inspired my 17 year old homeschooled son to contact local farmers to raise pigs and beef cows on their properties. Thank you, Joel, for inspiring the next generation of farmers!

14. Melissa says:

I am currently reading “Folks, This Ain’t Normal.” We’re new to this “farming” thing, and I am devouring Joel’s wit and wisdom. So far we have/are raising hogs, turkeys, ducks, chickens, and most importantly 4 humans. I would love to read the book and participate in discussion. Being new to farming is incredibly overwhelming, and any information I can get my hands on would be wonderful. A chapter a week would be doable for me.

15. Elli Sparks says:

Hi Sheri –

Polyface is such an inspiration to me. Thank you for being part of the team that makes it happen!

I was wondering if you might be able to share your thoughts with me.

My husband and I moved to a small farm last year. We have 30 acres south of Farmville, VA. We love it! However, both of us work full time jobs. Fortunately for us, we work from our farm. Hubby is a cabinet maker and I telecommute for a non-profit. We have jumped right in with animals: a small herd of pasture raised beef cattle, a dairy cow, a small dairy goat herd, broilers, layers, laying ducks, and geese. We are feeding ourselves with the pasture raised meat from our farm, which is pretty cool!

We’d love to add a big garden and put in a small orchard. However, I can’t figure out when in the world we’d find the time to do that!!

I would love to find a young farmer, someone who has apprenticed or interned on another farm or two. I’m thinking that there may be a young person who would like to put their skills to work but can’t yet afford a farm of their own.

I would be interested in crafting a partnership. We provide the land and the funds to put in a garden and orchard. The young farmer brings a little bit of experience, a vision, and hard work. We get veggies and fruit to feed our family of four out of the deal. They grow for us and as much extra as they want. They can sell the extra at our local farmers market.

We’ve got a small cabin on our land in which they could live. We could share our meat with them. They leave us with an orchard.

I would see the partnership lasting at least a year. Longer if everyone is happy with how things are going.

What do you think of this kind of arrangement??

Do you know of any young graduates from internship programs who might be interested in exploring this idea with us?

Thanks!

Elli

ps. I interned on a farm 25 years ago! Just couldn’t figure out how to make the transition from intern to farmer. Finally, I have my small farm!! I am happy as a clam!!