Mystery Summer Shawl Knit Along

A few months ago, I signed up for a Mystery Shawl Knit Along on Ravelry.

I’ve never made a shawl or participated in a knit along and I thought this would be fun. Something to keep me on track.

The knit along started on June 21 and every Friday another clue was released. 7 clues total. The idea was to knit each clue before the next one came out. Of course with summer in full swing, I did NOT keep up with it, but I tried. Really hard.

The pattern is called “the Summer of…

0_Summer_of_MKAL_Pic3_medium

I’m thinking of it as the summer of firsts for me. My first time to knit a shawl, my first mystery knit, first time for knitting with beads, first time for knitting lace. Lots of firsts and FUN! πŸ™‚

I started with an inspiration board. Something to help me with my colors. πŸ™‚ (remember, I had NO IDEA what this was going to look like when it was finished. All I had was how much yarn and beads to buy.)

Blue and Gray Palette

Yesterday, I finished and I’m so in love with my new shawl that I decided to share the journey with you. πŸ™‚

007-001

004-002

049-001

014-001

001-002

006-001

026-001

And the finished shawl:

030-001The Mystery Knit Along was hosted by Cindy Garland with Wild Prairie Knits.

It was a lot of fun and her pattern was very well written and easy to follow. Even for the beginner like me!!

AND>>> just in case you’re interested, she’s hosting a FALL MYSTERY KNIT ALONG. I don’t know the start date yet, but if you are on Ravelry, you can check out the group here. I do know that it will be a shawl and based on her patterns – very well written and beautifully planned and designed. πŸ™‚

Perhaps I’ll see you there? (I’m sheriberry02 on Ravelry)

Happy Friday!

Sheri, Permalink

10 Responses to Mystery Summer Shawl Knit Along

1. Annie says:

That is BEAUTIFUL!!
    I am intimidated by shawls and lace knitting, thank you for showing me that a beginner can do it. I should try the Fall Knit Along, fall is when I can pick up my needles again. πŸ™‚

• Sheri Salatin says:

To be honest, I’m glad that I didn’t know there was going to be lace in this shawl before I started. I probably wouldn’t have even attempted it. Now that it’s done, I can honestly say, that is wasn’t all that hard. Lots of repeats, but very simple. πŸ™‚
      Fall is a much better, more realistic time of year for knitting πŸ™‚

2. Erin Phelan says:

Beautiful! I would love to be apart of one of the knit along projects, it would help keep me motivated to finish the item. πŸ™‚

3. Melissa says:

That is beautiful! I can’t believe your a beginner! I find I have trouble finishing my sewing projects too…LOL, I do eventually get done though! I love shawls. I have 2 now that I have completed. I think a shawl is very feminine and modest! Great job!

4. Lee-Anne says:

So beautiful! Congratulations on completing it.

5. kim says:

omg! That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

6. Finally I finished a lace project and can post to this group. I knit the Swallowtail Shawl in fingerweight yarn which was hand dyed. Instead of the nupps, I used size 6 light pink silver lined seed beads. Then, I decided to add a bit more bling and put a bead at the end of the points. The result is not over glaring and very pretty. Last week, I spent 5 days at a local fair demonstrating spinning with the RI Spinners Guild. This shawl was on display along with other shawls, scarves, socks, yarns we spun, and other items. The pattern is not difficult once you memorize one repeat of the buds, and, then the lily of the valley part. The edging wasn’t too difficult either. Here are some pics. Pinned out to block. Modeled in the house. On display at the fair.

7. Well explanation and wonderful work Sheri.. Really I love this shawls very much..)

8. Sheri, I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed my pattern and the Summer Mystery Knit Along. You are right, our Fall Mystery Knit Along is starting October 1st. I hope you and some of your readers will come and join us. We are doing a rectangle shaped shawl this time that will be not only beautiful but easy to wear.

9. Naomi Chaffee says:

Wow, it turned out so beautiful!
    I had never heard of a mystery knit
    before, but I think I like the idea!