Walk the Garden with Me

Today I wanted to share pictures of my yard and garden with you.

Daniel and I live on a hill so there isn’t much flat space for vegetable gardens. I have a couple of raised beds where I grow fresh herbs and what everyone around here calls “Sheri’s Salsa Garden”. From the name it should be obvious that this garden consists of mostly peppers and tomatoes and onions 🙂

Yes, I gotta have my salsa!! I AM after all, a Texas girl at heart. 😀

So come sit on the rocking swing with me and let’s take a look around at the garden.

028-001

Every once in a while, Travis’ ducks are known to wander by…

017

They aren’t supposed to be out, but if you don’t tell, neither will I. 😉

Here’s what was originally my herb garden. For some reason the echinacea has taken it over this year. They’re so pretty that I don’t have the heart to weed any of them out.

018-001

And the only surviving tomatillo plant!! The rest were frostbitten in late May. I love green salsa!

020-001

And here’s some pictures of my peppers.

Jalapenos – my most favorite pepper in the world.

021-001

And this year, I decide to give cayenne peppers a try. I want to try drying them. Got any good ways of doing this?

022-001

Moving onto my flower bed. This is a sort of out-of-control cottage garden.

025-001

I never knew butterfly bushes grew so tall. Mine hit 10-12 feet every year!! Must be all that good compost 🙂

026-001

This is the north side of my house. It’s sort of shady most of the time and very hard to get things to grow. I’m super excited about my canna plant. Daniel’s Aunt sent it to me from her garden in Texas this year. Can you believe it’s actually growing and blooming here in my Virginia garden?

023-001

024-001

And that hill, I was talking about – our backyard (taken from my back deck)

029-001

And see, there go the ducks again… 🙂 (look close!)

030-001

And last but not least…

Here’s a picture of my walk. Daniel actually hauled these rocks down from the mountain one year and put my rock walkway in for a mother’s day gift. I was/am thrilled!

That’s mint you see sprawling from the wooden barrel. I know better than to plant that in my garden. You could say I learned that the hard way 😉

027-001

Thank you for taking the time to visit with me today. If you have a blog, would you post pictures of your garden and link back to mine so that I can visit you?

Happy Friday!

Sheri, Permalink

20 Responses to Walk the Garden with Me

1. Wenona says:

Just a thought, you need some hostas on your north side. They would do great there.

2. Annie says:

To dry the cayennes: When they are good and ripe, pick them and thread a needle with a heavier thread (I used embroidery floss, and I know you have that!) pierce the pepper at the base of the stem, not through the red flesh, but through the green part. String a bunch of them (just like the fake strings of peppers some people decorate with) and then hang from a beam or doorway. You don’t want the peppers to touch a hard surface and damage the skin. That’s it!
    I can’t believe a girl from North Dakota is telling a Texan how to dry peppers! 🙂

3. Dan says:

Great pictures!

I’ve written a few blog posts about my garden this year. http://deletethenuts.blogspot.com/search/label/gardening

I’ve been having problems with deer. I just got a motion sensing water sprinkler. I’m hoping that keeps them away from now on.

4. Thanks for the tour of your gardens, Sheri. They are beautiful! We used our dehydrator to dry our cayenne peppers. It’s the best dehydrator you can buy in our opinion. They sell three sizes so we chose the largest one since we used it all the time on our little farm. We’ve dried tomatoes, peppers, onions, bananas, strawberries, a dozen or more different herbs, among other things! Check them out here: http://www.dryit.com/dehydrators.html

5. Dee says:

You live in paradise. I know you, like I, remember that every day. Bless the bounty 🙂

6. leerecca says:

Hi Polyface Hen House, one of your fans nominated your blog in our garden blog contest and you have won a free tin of BuffaLoam organic plant food compost tea, produced by the bison on our Northern Colorado ranch! Could you please message me, lee.recca@gmail.com with your address so we can send this to you? Thank you! Lee, webmom for BuffaLoam.

7. Hannah Kilpatrick says:

Jalapenos are my favorite as well! Have you ever made jalapeno jelly? It is delicious!

8. Karen Joy says:

After several years of successful organic gardening (which is QUITE a feat here in the Phoenix desert!), our family moved last summer, away from my veggie garden. I now have what I have been calling my “fake” garden, because everything is in containers. It doesn’t feel real unless it’s in the ground, part of the landscape… In 1-3 months, we are planning on putting my REAL garden in, in the back corner of our nearly-half-acre (which is a big property, even for the suburbs!)… Here, it’s quite an undertaking, because the beds need to be dug deeply and drip-irrigated. The “soil” here is caliche/clay and it’s way too dry and hot to even attempt growing anything without supplemental water.

Here in the desert, it’s so dry that, whatever I want to dehydrate in the summer, I just place in a paper bag, poke holes in the bag with a knife, and hang the bag in a tree. In 3-6 days, voila! Dehydrated. I just did that with a bunch of basil, and now I’m set for the rest of the year! It works with thinner peppers, too, like cayenne. It’s probably too humid in Virginia to do that, though. (Yesterday morning, I watched with humor and sympathy as a little bird — a verdin — tried to “harvest” the cotton twine that was left, tied loosely to a tree branch, in a tree. As it was looped around the horizontal branch, the verdin couldn’t fly away with it! But she sure kept trying.)

9. Helen says:

Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden. Your views are gorgeous. Though our garden was behind with our cool nights (we live in Colorado), but our peppers are right on track with yours. Yay!!!

Beautiful gardens and mountain view! I dry my peppers in my Excaliber dehydrator.

11. I.must.have.some.of.your.salsa. 🙂

12. What a beautiful garden! Its so much fun to take friends through the garden or walk through theirs when you go visit them. Thanks for sharing 🙂

13. Holly says:

I just lay my cayennes out on a bit of newspaper when they are good and ripe and they dry out in no time.

14. Hi Annie… I really enjoyed while seeing your beautiful pictures and you are doing a good job also.. Congrats…)

15. Traveling along your garden by seeing the snaps you shared , had spend nice time in your post.The hill view is wonderful one.

16. Isaac Dixon says:

The best part of gardening to me is watching the bees, birds, butterflies and wild creatures hover over and around the brightly colored fragrant flowers. Somehow it seems that flowers in abundance look so much better to me than a more formal approach. The look of the English Garden is charming. It is organized yet looks wild, as nature intended. The colorful blooms, sometimes with an odd plant mixed in here and there, the abundance of roses, delphiniums and other sun loving heirloom plants mixed with shrubs, trees, herbs, sometimes even vegetables is simply delightful. Designing a garden in the English style creates a feast for the senses and a perfect habitat for wildlife, something much needed in today’s world. This style of garden brings many surprises along the way, from new plants grown from seeds dropped by visiting birds or created by nature doing the cross pollination to self-seeding plants that pop up in new locations. Writing this book has been a labor of love. It is my wish for you, the reader that you will discover tips and tricks to help you create a cherished garden that will live on for generations. I hope you will be able to create a place where friends, family and neighbors can relax and interact with nature. A place where you can go out and pick edible flowers, herbs or vegetables to add to your meals, a place where children can learn where food comes from, but most of all, a fragrant private place where you can escape from the hustle and bustle of the world. Topics include antique florist plants, new plant introductions, dark colored flowers, English Cottage Gardens, flower and herb crafts, legends and lore, rare and exotic plants, the scented garden, Victorian bedding schemes and much more!

17. Our garden is huge and I’m into starting small so we portioned off a small area and put up some barriers for wildlife. Here’s a peek at what’s coming up! Spinach and peas. ( I love to companion plant.) Onions with beets soon to follow. Potatoes, fava beans, kale, lettuces, chard, kohlrabi, flowers, and carrots. Lots of carrots.