What do farm kids do when it rains? {and Winner Announcement!}

I don’t know about you, but my kids have a very hard time being cooped up when the weather turns wet. Yesterday, our weather was calling for severe thunderstorms, possible tornadoes, hail, strong winds, flash floods, the list goes on. And from the ominous looking clouds, we believed them.

Storm Clouds over Polyface FarmStorm 6-13-13

Last year’s storm hit with a frenzy and caught us all off guard. It wiped out 30 of our field shelters and cut a swath of damaged trees, power lines and pulled off the barn roof. “The storm without rain” was what I dubbed it as. In reality – a derecho.

This year, we had warning and we prepared. Animals were moved to lower, sheltered ground and we battened down anything that might fly off. We were as prepared as we could get. Then we waited… we chose jobs on the farm that were close to shelter. No working on pig glens or that far off fence line. Nope, we worked in the hoop houses and around the barns.

The dark clouds came and went all day. It would rain and then stop, blow and then stop. All bark, no bite.

We were thankful!

My kids, however, were restless. Being tied to the house during the summer time is sheer torture. So I started looking for a project – something active, but not too active. Moms, you know exactly what I’m thinking, don’t you?

No throwing balls, wrestling or racing through the house, but they’re not content to color and read books all day long. Games only last for so long. After all, they’re boys (and one active girl!) πŸ™‚

This was one time, when my “Just for Kids” Pinterest page came in handy. I pulled it up. “What to do, what to do.” I scrolled through the ideas. “Ah ha! There!”

Β catapult

We emptied a tissue box and were off! I did not have any marshmallows, so we improvised.

Buttons!

Don’t look at me like that. They’re not your kids πŸ˜‰ And no, they weren’t launching them at each other. πŸ˜€

003a

Lauryn had sorted these into my cupcake pan earlier in the day. So they were all ready to rearrange again!

001a004a

Now before we go any further, I have to admit something. The instructions call for pipe cleaners and rubber bands, etc. I didn’t have any of those things, (all of our rubber bands must be old, they kept breaking) so we used tape to tie the pencils together and then the kids just held each side of it for launching. It took us about 5 minutes to put it together the Salatin way.

The buttons were launched at Andrew’s little army guys.

002a

005a

Hours and hours of fun with just enough activity to suit any boy! πŸ™‚

007a

I’m curious, what do your kids do on rainy days? I think all of us moms could use some tips for the next storm that might blow through. Not only will the animals be ready, but the moms on the home-front will be prepared as well!

Share your thoughts! πŸ™‚

_________________________________________________________________

And now…the long awaited announcement for the winner of Gaining Ground by Forrest Pritchard

And the winner is…

SCOTT PEETS

who wrote:

scott peets

Congratulations, Scott, you have won a copy of Gaining Ground: A Story of Farmers’ Markets, Local Food, and Saving the Family Farm
. I’ll email you for your address and get this off to you in the mail asap!

A huge THANK YOU to all of you who entered. I loved reading all of your funny stories and sharing in your journey of learning more about farm life.

___________________________________________________________________________

Happy Friday!

Sheri Salatin

SheriPermalink

10 Responses to What do farm kids do when it rains? {and Winner Announcement!}

1. Wendy Cole says:

Congratulation Scott! I know my kids are very active also. We usually pull out the clay and create things with that. Also, I will get some paints out for them to paint small pieces of wood and then we will put the wood together to make something. I love the idea of the marshmellow/button launcher. Will need to try that one. Have a wonderful weekend!

2. Scott Peets says:

Thank You so much!! I cannot wait to read this book.. I had to take a double look when I seen my name on the top of the screen. lol

With my son we play with matchbox/hotwheels cars, build legos, watch movies and things like that. Im currently deployed overseas in the Army and cannot wait to get home and do those things with him again!!

Thank you all again!!

• Scott Peets says:

I meant bottom see im still shocked I won. haha

• Sheri Salatin says:

Hurray! Send me your military address (sent you an email) and I’ll mail it to you overseas. It will give you something else to read while waiting to get home to your son. Thank you for your service to our country. My hat is off to you in the deepest appreciation and respect.

• Scott Peets says:

Thank you for the kind words. Fortunately Ill be home in a few weeks. I was able to read 5 of Joel’s books along with a few others while here. Im planning to start a farm when I get home so im gaining lots of knowledge now!

3. Tara Doyle says:

This is great! Your precious Andrew came out and warned us about the derecho yesterday, we were very thankful. Isn’t you family ever the helpful ones!? We will be trying this project when we get settled in NY πŸ™‚

4. Annie says:

“put together the Salatin way”…I literally laughed out loud at that one! We’d do the same thing here, “the Carlson way”. Our kids are small enough that a stick horse rodeo is the number 1 rainy activity. And they all have rubber boots to go out and do chores in…or stomp puddles.

5. Jennifer Brady says:

It just thrills my soul to see young parents not sticking the kids in front of video games all day when it rains!! πŸ™‚

6. Jenny says:

such cute ideas, Sheri!! I’m so glad you posted about the animals, too, I was wondering what you all did and prayed for you!! πŸ™‚

7. That is hilarious! I love it! When I saw the little army guy figures I totally laughed – a total boy thing. Thank you for a great idea for next time it rains! πŸ™‚ We sometimes do Matchbox car wash on rainy days. A large mixing bowl filled with warm water and soap and splish, splash, in go the cars. The bonus is that since they’re doing it at the kitchen table, its sure to get water on the floor, which means they use their “Matchbox towel” (a.k.a. an old hand towel) to scrub up the floor when they’re done.