Pigs In Spaaaace…Prepping The Paddock

For our next installment, we will be looking at how to prep a paddock for pigs.  But first…Pigs In Spaaaace!

Now back to our regular programming. After pigs are trained to the electric fence, they are ready to go out!  Before we can put them out, we have to prep their paddock. Prepping the paddock involves checking and repairing the fence if necessary as well as weed-eating and clean-up under the fence line. We use double strand electric for our standard pig paddocks and single strand for acorn glens (more detail on acorn glens later). In addition to clean-up, we also take out a feeder, feed , a waterer, and a battery/charger setup. Here are some pictures to illustrate.

0604131940

Battery, charger and double strand electric fence. The strands are approximately 8 and 12 inches off the ground.

0604131943

Pig waterer. We hang the hose from some branches so the pigs don’t chew on it.

0604131944a

Pig feeder. They are hungry, of course.

0604131945

Another shot of the fence and a wooden gate. We use heavy wooden gates instead of electric fence gates because the pigs don’t like to cross where electric has been. Even if you take the electric gate down, they will not cross easily.

0604131945a

Another shot of the fence.

About Heather Juda

Heather was born in Atlanta, GA, but spent 19 years in Colorado before moving to Virginia. She came to Polyface for the 2012 internship and has stayed on as the first female apprentice. She became interested in the food industry when she was in high school, and over the years sought to eat in a healthier way through community gardening, hunting and supporting local farmers. She had a very blessed and “comfortable” life in Colorado complete with a good IT career and condo, but on a calling from the Lord, she left it all to start a new life in farming at Polyface. She looks forward to seeing what the Lord has planned for the future and hopes to use what she learns at Polyface to provide healthy food for people!
HeatherPermalink

14 Responses to Pigs In Spaaaace…Prepping The Paddock

1. Sarah says:

Another great post, Heather! Thanks for all the pictures. I’m a very visual person, so these are great.

2. Melissa from MA says:

I love these posts, and pigs are my passion. Soooo looking forward to my visit in a couple of weeks and our lunatic hay ride.

3. Charles says:

Knocked it out of the park Heather. Can I make a request? Could you do a blog on water delivery systems, trough set up, connections and installment?

Charles

4. Beth says:

ditto, Charles, I’d like to know about that, too! We have nipple watering system and only some of them get it.

5. Rich says:

How long does the batter last on the fence charger? Do you keep another battery charging so that you can easily change those out?

6. Great info, I hope to add some pigs next year. What wire are you using for the fence? Steel or Aluminum? What gauge? Thanks. Andrew

7. Suzanne says:

Perfect timing – I’m literally getting ramped up right now to get our first pigs. Thanks!

8. Michael says:

Great stuff. Can’t wait for the installment on acorn glens. Polyface really should do a step-by-step on the healthy restoration of woodland with pigs.

Great pictures and explanation.

10. Naomi Chaffee says:

I like the pictures! I agree with Charles and Beth, a post about water systems that work best would be great! Also, I’m looking forward to learning about the acorn glens you mentioned!

11. cpatton1485 says:

Great pictures! Is there a rule of thumb on how much space to fence off per pig?
    May I ask what the pigs eat? Do they “graze” and eat the grass? Does their main diet consist of grain you put in the feeders? Thanks!

12. Julie says:

Thank you for the pictoral tutorial. We have no farmers around here who graze their pigs so everyone I ask have no answers for me that do not consist of cement floors and barn stalls.

13. The picture of the pig waterer was worth the price of admission. Very cool.

14. Ruth says:

I’m with cpatton..what exactly goes in the feeders. Thank you for a reply. good post.