A New Calf

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of witnessing a new calf being born! In the past, I’ve seen calves right after they were born but I had never actually witnessed the birth.  So I was thrilled when I looked out my window one day and just happened to notice a cow in labor. I grabbed my camera and ran out to the field! I’ll spare you the video of the actual birth, but here are some pictures from the minutes right after this sweet calf was born!

The mama immediately started cleaning the calf…

1E5A3154 1E5A3199…And a few minutes later, the calf started to try to stand. Once it finally got the hang of it, it knew to head to the utters to get food!…it was amazing to watch!1E5A3246 Here’s another young calf watching all the action…1E5A33551E5A3368

Have you had the honor of witnessing any births before?

Happy Monday!

About Jill Powers

Jill Powers
JillPermalink

14 Responses to A New Calf

1. Cyndy says:

Yes, have been in on a few deliveries of women & babies but have also seen a calf, kittens & even watched a chicken as it hatched. Birth & life is an amazing precious miracle designed by our almighty Creator! 🙂

2. Gretchen R says:

I love this! What an amazing thing to witness! Your pictures are incredible. It makes me want to get some beef/dairy even more.

3. tasha says:

Praise God! What sweet pictures of this baby and Momma Cow. And I love the other calf looking on. I’ve had the honor of kittens, but nothing big like cows. We did visit a local farm to purchase goat’s milk for a homeschool lesson and arrived literally seconds after the mom gave birth to goats. They were out of goat’s milk so let us watch the momma goat clean and take care of her baby. It was amazing to watch her and the baby.

4. lzkblr says:

one of my 4-H sheep had twin lambs one spring and it was one of the coolest things i’ve ever seen!

5. Hannah Kilpatrick says:

I own goats, so i have witnessed and helped many goats in labor. It is always a lot of fun!

6. Rebecca Rozeboom says:

When I was a young girl, my father had pigs. A sow went into labor one morning and he allowed me to stay home from school to be a part of it. It was not only cool to see, but something special that I was able to share with my dad.

7. Lisa says:

I got to grow up next door to a dairy farm and saw lots of Holstein calves come into the world. Amazing sight.

8. Rachel says:

I’ve seen most general farm animals born, but the most exotic birth was a llama. Neat stuff!
    If you are going to live next to cows then someone should probably let you know that it’s spelled “udder”, and that each cow has a single udder (with, generally, 4 teats to an udder). You may have meant “head to the teats” instead of “utters” in your post.
    Enjoy the farm life…it is beautiful!

9. Erin Herner says:

Yep! I work on a dairy, so every once in a while I have the luck to catch a cow in labor and witness the birth, or sometimes, help pull when we’ve needed to. It sure is an awesome thing to see!

10. Alex says:

I witnessed twin calves being born on Swiss Connection Farm(Indiana) last year. The mother passed the afterbirth/placenta before the calves. Alan and Kate pulled the twins out.

11. Becca says:

I haven’t seen a birth yet, but I love the new born calves. They are so sweet and adorably uncoordinated. We have about 50 running around at the moment. Your pictures are great!

12. Cyndi Lewis says:

When I was nine my family was on vacation and staying at a campground in Northern California and that night the campground owner knocked on our door and said one of their cows was giving birth and would we like to come watch. Of course we did! I still clearly remember the birth to this day. Who knew that this suburbanite child would one day hope to own her own milk cow.

13. Tammy says:

Births are such amazing events no matter what the creature. While I have never seen an animal birth, I was present at my God-daughter’s birth and it was wonderful. And of course there are my own children’s birth days 🙂

14. I HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH ASSISTING WITH HUMAN BIRTHS THE MOST AMAZING WAS MY OLDEST GRAND DAUGHTER WHO CAME OUT EYES WIDE OPEN AND ALERT 🙂 I HAVE WITNESS MY BUNNIES ASSISTED MY YORKIE/POM WHO WAS A FIRST TIME MOM AND CHEWED HER FIRST PUP IN HALF SO I TOOK OVER AND DELIVERED FOUR MORE WITHOUT A PROBLEM. I ALSO WATCHED MY CAT GIVE BIRTH A FEW TIMES AND WHEN I WAS A KID WAS BLESSED WITH SEEING ONE OF MY FAVORITE HORSES GIVE BIRTH. BIG SUZY WAS A GREAT BIG GENTLE QUARTER HORSE WHO USED TO LET ME RIDE HER BARE BACK AND IF I WAS TIRED I WOULD JUST LAY ACROSS HER AND GO TO SLEEP IT USED TO WORRY MY POPS SOMETHING AWFUL BUT I ALWAYS TOLD HIM SUE WOULD NEVER LET ME GET HURT I REMEMBER A FEW TIMES WITH HER LEANING AGAINST A FENCE OR TREE TO KEEP ME FROM SLIDING OFF WHILE SLEEPING. I KNEW THAT GOD’S CREATURES WILL LOVE YOU AND PROTECT YOU IF YOU LOVE THEM. THE MIRACLE OF BIRTH NO MATTER WHAT CREATURE IT IS HAS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST AWESOME THINGS EVER HOW ANY ONE CAN WATCH THAT MIRACLE ANDF NOT ACCEPT HOW AWESOME AND LOVING OUR GOD IS BAFFLES THE MIND. I HOPE EVERYONE IS ABLE TO WITNESS THIS MIRACLE AT SOME TIME OR ANOTHER