Tomatoes!

As the gardener, this season is really showing me that no two seasons in farming look a like.  Last year at this time I had everything planted and was trying to keep up with harvesting!  I have come to realize that I need to stop comparing with how much I already had done this time last year and just focus on getting done what I can right now.  It can be fun to compare how much earlier I got seeds and plants in the ground but I can’t focus on those things.

Tuesday I got my tomato plants in the ground.  Such satisfaction to see them in their rows!   What are you planting this week?

IMG_1040 IMG_1043

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

10 Responses to Tomatoes!

1. Teresa says:

We’re not quite that far along here in Central PA – did get some onions, sweet peas & potatoes in the ground. Starting to set out some seedlings during the day. Fingers crossed, they look a little frail. Pleasant Planting Season to all!

2. Trish Kennedy says:

What do you have wrapped around the base of your plants? I need to transplant mine and was wondering if I should protrect the base…

3. Cyndi Lewis says:

We are planting all our cool season crops right now. Up till now it had been too cold/rainy/snowy. Suddenly it is now too hot. I was planting lettuce in 85 degree temps. yesterday. Each year is so different. I’m keeping a garden journal this year but I can’t help but think how different next year can be just with different weather etc. The calendar says I should have such and such planted by such and such time but the paper calendar doesn’t track my weather day by day. A good farmer can control a great many things but weather is not one of them. I am reminded how much God is in charge and not me. I should have spinach and onions coming up in the garden right now but rain and a bit of flooding makes me think those are kaput. So many variables!

4. Malenita says:

I have lots of questions… How do you grow your tomatoes? Spacing? Varieties? Do you stake them or let them sprawl? What yield do you get (or how many tomato plants per person do you plant)?

5. Kathleen Akselrad says:

Never had a year when it took so long for the tomatoes to germinate (unheated greenhouse in TN)! Kept reseeding…now I have a lot but they are still to small to set out.

6. Jessica says:

Around these parts it’s best to wait until after Mother’s Day to plant because it can snow through May. (I’m hoping yesterday was our last snow for the season!)

7. Kerry says:

We planted our tomatoes and peppers this past weekend. Still have some stuff to get in the ground, but at least we made progress. I’m loving the cool weather here (in the upcountry of SC) — it’s nice to be able to take care of the animals and not be dripping sweat by the time we’re finished!

8. Liana says:

Hi Leanna.. Glad to see your works!

9. Ellisa Allen says:

Hi Leanna,

We miss you here in NC. In Hoke Co. we are trying to get a Farmers Market going. So far, the CSA portion has been successful. Our facebook page has some pictures of what the growers are doing. I know it is not organic, but at least it is not toxic cotton fields. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hoke-County-Farmers-Market/155570584572137?ref=hl Enjoy.

10. Keith says:

we’re much further into our spring/summer season here in AZ. I harvested more yellow squash and green beans this morning. We’ve been eating a ton of zucchini and squash. Tomatoes are ALMOST ripe. Corn is about 4 feet tall and the watermelon are forming by the dozens (Desert Kings with golden flesh… so good). Cucumbers are coming in the house when I can find them (I planted the vines a little too thick), and peppers of all sorts are flowering. I love this time of year!