Mmm, Butter.

IMG_2885

Grady and I worked with Ethan Kelly the summer we interned at Polyface.  He was known for using a thickness of butter that equaled that of the bread.  After seeing what Ralph does with butter we think we probably should have named him Ethan.  🙂

We are glad he enjoys butter so much.  We believe it is a good fat and something his body needs.  I have started making my own again now that the grass is growing fast and we can get cream from our friends at Creambrook Farm.  You can also use a Kitchen Aid mixer with the whisk attachment to churn, then let drip through a square of butter cloth before working the rest of the buttermilk out.  Enjoy!

Have you ever made your own butter?

About Erin Phelan

Born and raised in western Michigan, Erin came to Polyface first as an intern in the summer of 2009. While here she met and got to know Grady Phelan, an apprentice at the time. The next spring they were married and after a couple years in Oklahoma they are back, working as sub-contractors for Polyface. Erin keeps herself busy with the jobs of a wife and mother, as well as helping with the animals, gardening, sewing, cooking, baking, knitting and reading.
Erin, , Permalink

17 Responses to Mmm, Butter.

1. JulieHamilton says:

Haha! That’s adorable! Reminds me of when my youngest (now 21) was tiny. I was setting the table for a nice holiday meal when I noticed little teeth marks on the end of the stick of butter. I knew Blake was the culprit! Ralph is a cutie. 🙂

2. Cyndi Lewis says:

I’m looking forward to getting milk goats soon. (A breed with high fat content in their milk.) I hope to start making butter!

3. Hannah Kilpatrick says:

Ralph is soo cute!!! It’s good that he is enjoying healthy butter and not the store nasty butter.

4. Oh man…your kid! Your KID. So adorable! And such an endearing little guy to convince people to eat more butter 🙂

5. Erin Herner says:

Yes! I manage a raw milk dairy, and whenever we have dump milk because business is slow, i save the cream and make butter before it goes sour. It’s way more yellow than anything I’d ever seen before.

• Erin Phelan says:

That is great, Erin! That’s my favorite thing about spring butter, the color, so beautiful. The taste isn’t so bad either 😉

6. Jessica says:

What a cutie!
    I’ve never made butter, or even had raw milk before! Hopefully someday we’ll be blessed with access to it.

7. April says:

I bought a butter church in Ohio in 2007. I use to make butter a couple of times a month, but have not made any in a long time. One time I just put the cream in my electric ice cream maker and let it church away while in church. We arrived home to nice creamy butter.

8. Jill Carstens says:

I have a 2 year old Jersey heifer who is expecting her first calf any day now! She is from an organic seasonal grass dairy whose cows have New Zealand grazing genetics. I can’t wait to make my own butter! I like your idea about using the Kitchen aid mixer and butter cloth. Thanks for sharing. Oh yeah, your little boy is a cutie!

9. Erin Phelan says:

Wow, an ice cream maker, that would be fun to try!

10. wendy says: