Duck, Duck, DUCK!

Both of my boys have started little businesses this year. Andrew got lambs in March and now Travis has taken on ducks.

These are Khaki Campbell Ducks. Right now he has them in a feathernet and is using the pen we built for the sheep to lock them up at night. (The sheep are now in netting as well) It also helps to lock them in there while he is moving the net. We had one get away the other day and ended up chasing it around.

I’m sure we looked hilarious, Travis and I running back and forth, tromping through lots of water with rain streaming down our faces. šŸ™‚ But we caught her!

ducks 018

Of course the day that we brought them home, we had a flood. I wish I could have gotten pictures of this. You would not believe the amount of water we had running through the farm. Folks were stranded here on this side of the river, and others were stranded on road side of the river. The entire front pasture (which we call the Meadow) was covered in water. It never came up over the bridge, but the river took a lot more than its normal area to flow.

It was GREAT DUCK WEATHER!

Travis got the ducks from Uncle Jordan and Aunt Laura. They were gracious enough to let him buy them as young ready-to-lay ducks rather than having to brood them. We didn’t have extra brooder space this year to start from scratch – the chickens needed every bit. Maybe by next year, if all goes well, we’ll have our ducks in a row to start them as hatchlings. (pun intended) šŸ˜€

It’s a learning process. Many years ago, Daniel’s cousins raised ducks, but we’ve never done it before. We’ll see how it goes. He started out with 16 and got his first egg this morning.

ducks 026

He’s eating it for breakfast as we speak. šŸ™‚

So, the next time, you come to the farm, watch for Travis’ duck eggs!

Happy Friday!

Sheri, Permalink

18 Responses to Duck, Duck, DUCK!

1. We raised 10 Khakis this year too!! My girls absolutely love chasing them and taking care of them. They haven’t matured enough for us to see which are males…course we might have lucked out and gotten all ladies…I doubt it! They look fantastic! How much space do you have them grazing?

• Sheri Salatin says:

Right now, we have them in one full net, which Travis is moving every day.

2. Moma Chas says:

I love this! You are doing a fabulous job helping raise great young men!

3. David Wolfe says:

Love it! Good Luck Travis and Andrew! Here is a link to my “shout out”… http://aroyallineage.blogspot.com/2013/05/i-love-reading-about-families-who-are.html

4. Shannon says:

I love duck eggs! About 2 months ago all the farmers at our local market were out of pastured chicken eggs, but a few of them had duck eggs. My first thought was: ummmmmm, I don’t know how they’ll taste….should I try them? I decided to get over my fear of the unknown and go for it. They are so rich and delicious! Now , they are my favorite kind of eggs. In our the eggs that we include on the menu are chicken, duck and quail (all sourced from the local market).

Oh, and by the way I love that you are giving your children the opportunity to turn into entrepreneurs as such a young age. Joel emphasizes this bonus of farming in all 3 of his books that I have read.

5. Our ducks are Khakis also! Great laying and great eating. It is so wonderful that your sons have these as a business. http://grassfood.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/extra-drakes-are-for-eating-especially-with-bacon/

6. You’ve probably already noticed that ducks have a much stronger desire to stick with the flock than chickens. When one of mine gets loose, I use that to drive her back with the others by walking behind, keeping her between me and her buddies.

7. Jessica says:

I just love seeing the kids being involved in farming. I’ve been thinking of getting some ducks when we get chickens someday. I hear the eggs taste richer and are good for baking. A friend in Ill got herself some ducks because she prefers their eggs over chicken eggs. She sure does love and enjoy them.

8. Brian Gansereit says:

Looking forward to learning with you through the process of raising these ducks. Great job Travis!

9. Amy Swiney says:

These are the kind of ducks I want. No kiddos to raise them at my house though, just for me!

10. Cyndi Lewis says:

Sheri,
    Are the ducks for eggs or for meat or both? What a wonderful opportunity for your kids!

11. Erin Herner says:

I love ducks! I got ducks this spring. I’ve got 3 khakis, but I wanted a bit of everything… indian runners, pekins, rouens, cayugas and welsh harlequins. We wanted them for debugging our CSA garden, since unlike chickens they won’t eat the vegetables. I am raising mine from ducklings and they are so much fun. I love watching them. They do like to stay together, so everywhere they go all over the farm, they travel as a flock. I also gave them a little kiddie pool, and they go in there and swim around.

12. Leslie says:

Awwww, ducks are great! And duck eggs are yummy! A long pole is a great way to steer ducks around. I like to think that voice commands also work with ducks because after a few nights of using the pole to steer them back to the security of their pen at night while telling them “time to go to bed”, now they seem to just need to be told “time to go to bed” and they take themselves.

13. Vincent MacDonald says:

This is great to see Andrew and Travis becoming young men and having their own enterprise on the farm!

Tell them Hi for me. Haha I think they will remember me. The apprentice from J&L.

I have an unrelated question: What is your opinion on the government requiring labeling of genetically modified foods?

I know more freedom is pretty much always a good thing and the better thing would be to educate the masses about GE foods, but do you think this is an issue where, due to the high stakes and the potentially severe danger, the government should get involved?

Vincent

• Sheri Salatin says:

This is only my opinion, but I think that LAST thing we need is more labeling laws. It only makes it harder and harder for farmers (farmers raising clean, real food on a small, local scale) to get their foods into the mouths of their customers. In general, labels don’t guarantee anything. It’s the integrity of the farmer and processor that is most at stake. I think transparency is the answer. That and an open marketplace. A farmer who makes a customer sick, will soon be out of business.

14. Pingback: Walk the Garden with Me | Polyface Hen House