It’s About Time!

IMG_1034The asparagus is finally coming up!  I found 3 spears popping up in the garden yesterday!  Hooray!  What is your favorite way to prepare asparagus?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

11 Responses to It’s About Time!

1. Tasha says:

YUM!!! Parboiled for no more than 2 minutes. Drain and while it is still hot toss with EVOO, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, salt and freshly ground pepper. My boys even eat it!!!
    Happy Thursday!

2. Sarah says:

I love them boiled till just tender and served with lots of butter and sea salt. Mmmm!

3. Nancy says:

I love roasted asparagus, with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh lemon juice. And, a little salt and pepper!

4. Elizabeth Moon Gabet says:

Four years ago I got to taste my first asparagus spear right out of the ground while in a friend’s garden rather than eating ones I purchased at a store. My favorite way is not preparing them at all but eating them fresh after snapping them off! Yum, yum, yum, divine! My second favorite way is having them inside a container to roast on a grill or over an open fire with butter and a bit of freshly ground pepper and non refined sea salt. Oh my!

5. Lisa Hale says:

So happy for you that you are seeing the first asparagus! It was always a joyous happening when you were growing up. We are so thankful for a place to plant a bed of asparagus in our new place and yesterday I counted 11 spears popping up!!!! It amazes me that few people choose to plant asparagus because it takes so long, yet the same people will plant a pecan or pear tree that will be much longer in waiting for a harvest. Asparagus is so worth it! I love asparagus roasted, but my absolute favorite is our asparagus spinach pasta salad.

6. Erin Phelan says:

Hurray, we have been keeping ours eyes open for it over here too. Looking forward to roasting some.

7. agchristman says:

EVOO?

8. Joe B says:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

9. John says:

Grilled! cover in oil sprinkle little salt, black pepper and garlic then grill till tender. Grilled okra is awesome also.

10. Doug says:

Marinate for 5 minutes in olive oil, crushed garlic and salt, then broil them (watch them closely). Use fingers to eat (you may need a napkin).