Spring is Coming!

IMG_2797

This isn’t the best picture, it almost looks like a painting, but I saw the first of the Bluebirds of the year and had to get a picture of them.   They are one of my favorite birds because they are one of the signs that spring is just around the corner, and that makes me very happy!  17 days ’til it’s official 🙂  Here are a few other pictures of spring happenings.

IMG_2798

Grady made me 7 of these cold frames to get some early veggies started, soon I will have my own lettuce, etc.!!!

IMG_2800

The start of tulips that I planted last fall, so exciting…

IMG_2801

Broccoli and cabbage starts.

Do you have buds and seedlings coming up?

About Erin Phelan

Born and raised in western Michigan, Erin came to Polyface first as an intern in the summer of 2009. While here she met and got to know Grady Phelan, an apprentice at the time. The next spring they were married and after a couple years in Oklahoma they are back, working as sub-contractors for Polyface. Erin keeps herself busy with the jobs of a wife and mother, as well as helping with the animals, gardening, sewing, cooking, baking, knitting and reading.
ErinPermalink

13 Responses to Spring is Coming!

1. Tasha says:

Can’t wait for SPRING!!! Not many seedlings this year since we moved. Just very young tender plants that I am babying.
    I also love to look for signs of SPRING! Happy Sunday 🙂

2. Anne says:

Love this blog and had to comment since I’m pretty excited about spring, tool. I just noticed that my daffodils and chives are starting to come back up, which makes me so happy. I’m *over* winter drear in a big way. Happy Spring!

3. Wenona says:

I’d like to know how how hinged the top for that cold frame. Looks great!

• Erin Phelan says:

We didn’t put any hinges on so far, they are just sitting on top of the boards.

Here in north Florida we have had a very mild winter until this weekend. It was 80 a week ago, its 47 right now with another low in the 20’s tonight. Brrr….. The wood stove has been fired up since Friday.

5. Melissa Hackett says:

I live in Southwestern CO & I don’t see our Western Bluebird until May at the earliest. 🙂

6. Sarah says:

I love your cold frames. I think I’m going to have to try to make some myself this week. 🙂

Just yesterday, I noticed that the grass looked like it had a hint of green. I can’t wait for spring. We are going to be starting our tomato and pepper seedlings this week.

7. Vivian says:

Yesterday, I saw a mountain blue bird sitting on a fence too. My heart skipped a beat, I too thought it was a sure sign of spring. They are so beautiful. I love to see them when they hover in mid air. Their blue is so bright.

I have 96 tomato starts in my indoor green house (clear tote with lid). No cold frames yet, maybe I can make some this year. But I am just finishing 39 home made self watering grow boxes. I look forward to seeing if they work well this year. I also am planning to put together a rain gutter self irrigating gardening system too. Snow still on the ground here, I yearn to play in the dirt.

Thanks for sharing. It is nice to know I am not the only one who is soft on the little mountain blue birds.

8. Corin Gillis says:

I love living in Canada, but it is hard waiting for spring to reach us.

9. Cyndi Lewis says:

We still have snow on the ground here in the Grand Rapids area of Michigan but it is melting in the cold but sunny weather! I hope to be able to find some things starting to come up in the next few days. I have spring fever bad! We even have an almost 50 degree day in the forecast! Break out the shorts!

10. Joe Hernandez says:

Good for you Erin. We are in upstate New York and we had a pair of newly wed Blue Birds house hunting and have decided to move in. First he went in and checked out my cleaning job while the Mrs waited on top of the house looking over the neighborhood. Two minutes later they switched jobs. Seems like she approved because they have been hanging around. Have another rental on the grape vine’s post but no takers yet. GO cold frames!!!!

11. Jonelle (Mom) Rosin says:

We’ve had bluebirds here too! And the snowdrops are almost blooming!!!