Pigaerators!

First group of pigs are in the far barn turning up the cow bedding, making some sweet compost!

Pigaerators!

Pigaerators!

Digging down...

Digging down…

It takes some effort to be a pigaerator.  Everyone needs a break sometimes. :)

It takes some effort to be a pigaerator. Everyone needs a break sometimes. :)

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

13 Responses to Pigaerators!

1. Clare says:

what a fantastic and happy sight!

2. Cyndi Lewis says:

I can not wait until we get pigs! Does Polyface overwinter or breed any or do you all just purchase piglets each spring and then slaughter in the fall?

3. Lisa Engel says:

That is so awesome!

4. Bonnie says:

That is so cool. We are going to try that this year and then plant pumpkins where the cows overwintered.

5. Trish says:

Can I put my piggies in the henhouse (with chickens gone)? I used pineshavings all winter.

6. Joseph Cloud says:

Nice lookin’ piggies ya got there, Leanna. Guess we’ll see ’em real soon 🙂

7. The pigaerator section in the Polyface section of Omnivore’s Dilemma was my very favorite part of the book – glad to see that these pigs in action!

Trish, you can put the pigs in after the chickens come out. As memory serves one of the first articles I read on Polyface they were working pigs under hanging rabbit cages even.

9. Hannah Kilpatrick says:

I love pigs!! so cute. We did that in our barn last spring, except our pigs were just like 8 weeks old, so they couldn’t do to much.

10. Elizabeth Moon Gabet says:

Love the pictures! Thank you for posting them! They look sooooo happy!!!

11. Hi Leanna… I love this photos very much and I have shared your blog with many friends and family. It is always a pleasure to see.

12. Nice! We have our Ossabaw Island Hogs in our goat barn right now…It really makes it easier to clean out deep bedding pack! 🙂