Farmer Boy

One of the joys of being a homeschool mom on a farm is that your children get the opportunity to experience “real farm life”. Our son, Andrew, has his very first REAL farming venture started.

LAMBS!

Andrew’s Uncle Jordan had these two adorable little lambs last weekend.

001

They are not siblings, but both were abandoned by the ewes. An unfortunate part of nature, but it gives Andrew a perfect chance to try his hand at caring completely for an animal. With the weather outside being so cold, the lambs are camped out in my kitchen. Some days it feels like half my kitchen is taken up with a water trough and wood chips. At lease the wood chips keep the smell down and make a nice, warm, dry bedding for the little ones.

Andrew has been bottle-feeding them four times per day. And the first day we got them, they started bleating at midnight. Daniel and I woke up and heard them and discussed whether we should go downstairs and feed them or just close the door to our bedroom. πŸ™‚ After a minute or two, we decided that they were probably hungry and I got up to make them a bottle. However, seven year old Andrew had already heard them.

Blurry eyed, and wiping sleep from his eyes, he was leaning over the side of the pen cooing, “What’s wrong? Are you guys okay? I’m here.”

Yes, my mama heart swelled with pride. I knew right then and there that he was ready for this task.

005

We made another bottle, Andrew fed them and we all went back to bed for a restful night’s sleep.

The first couple of days are touch and go, but now they are almost a week old and we have high hopes that they are going to make it.

I’m looking forward to warmer weather when they can go outside, but in the meantime, I’ve been enjoying them. They are almost too cute to handle πŸ™‚

019

016

015

We gave them sponge baths to clean off the rest of the afterbirth and now they are lively with a little attitude!

Andrew has dubbed them Salt and Pepper – The boy is Salt and the girl is Pepper.The first lambs in Polyface in several years. Perhaps we have a shepherd in the making?

Stay tuned for more adventures of Andrew, Salt and Pepper!

SheriPermalink

26 Responses to Farmer Boy

1. As a homeschooling mom, I couldn’t agree with you more! The lessons learned on the farm are so powerful. I am willing to bet that your son will never forget this experience. I hope that Salt and Pepper flourish and that your your shepherd is filled with farming pride, knowing that he helped to make it all possible.

Jennifer
    1840 Farm

2. Great story! There is no better way to raise children, than on a farm around the animals. Thanks for the share!

3. Rachel E. says:

Adorable! Your Andrew did a great job! He’s a cutie too! I look forward to meeting you someday. My husband and I are planning a tour of the place in May. I’ll be hugely pregnant, hopefully I won’t be too miserable. Maybe I should ask you…would you recommend me coming at 8 months pregnant?

• Sheri Salatin says:

It’s up to you and how you’re feeling. I’m usually feeling pretty good by month 8, although a little like a beached whale. (ha!) πŸ™‚ But if you’re feeling up to the drive, it’s should be fine. I’ll look for you in May!! πŸ™‚

• Rachel E. says:

Can you tell me if there is a lot of walking involved in the tour?

• Sheri Salatin says:

Not lots and lots. We use the hay wagon for most everyone which is why it is limited. We have a little set of steps for getting on the wagon too. πŸ™‚
          I would do it at 8 months, but I don’t know what you’re used to. I also walked the mall in DC at 8 months. Looking back, I don’t know HOW!! πŸ˜€

4. Tasha says:

Oh that is absolutely precious. The farmer boy that is. And the lambs. As a Momma longing to be on a farm with almost 8 year old twin boys who also long to be on a farm this brings JOY to my heart. So sweet!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Love the names and look forward to more updates on Salt and Pepper.

5. Cyndi Lewis says:

Incredibly sweet… both Andrew and the lambs! The Salatin line of farmers does continue on!

6. Gena says:

My daughter has been raising a lamb as well πŸ™‚ She is 17 though. I love that my son (14) has been growing up on a farm as well!

7. Kerry says:

I love seeing this. Growing up, I raised several baby goats that had been rejected by their mamas, but I didn’t have a water trough to keep them in, so mine ran around the house in diapers. It made for some fun memories and great stories.

8. Charles says:

I love this post.

Great post and great childhood you are providing your children. This is a major problem with our current society, children grow up striving to reach the next level on a video game instead of learning life skills and responsibility.

10. Sarah Fabian says:

This is just too precious! Would love to see this. New to site. Question. Do you have an egg drop in Charlottesville or do we need to come your direction?

• Sheri Salatin says:

Hi Sarah,
      Welcome! Thank you so much for stopping by. Yes, we have an egg drop and more in Charlottesville. Go to http://www.polyfaceyum.com to sign up for our buying club drop in Charlottesville (there is no minimum order and no membership fee). Let me know if you have any other questions! πŸ™‚

11. I love this! I called my boys over to see and they thought that was so cool. What a great way for him to learn to care for others. Hearing that he got up in the night to help them was so sweet, not to mention that it shows his dedication and level of responsibility! Gold star for that little man and to his Mama for raising him right! πŸ™‚ <3

12. Lisa Hale says:

This is precious, Sheri! I remember when the Lord gave us the first goat birth at our little farm. It was a chilly, snowy Saturday morning and everyone got to see their first larger animal birth. Over and over I thanked the Lord for such a wonderful teaching time and being able to homeschool my children. I bet Leanna is excited about lambs too!

13. Rachel says:

I have a question for homeschooling farm moms: I was homeschooled myself, but in a suburban area, where we had many extra-curricular activities and linked up with other families for joint classes. How do you deal with the socialization aspect (especially if you only have one child) when living rural? We moved rural when I was 13, and I didn’t have any friends until college. I’m not sure I want my very social daughter to go through what I did… so how do you handle it?

14. Ted Crockett says:

I have long wondered if there was a reason sheep were not part of the mix at Polyface. As a lamb lover……….

15. Erin Herner says:

oh my goodness! That is so cute! Lambs in the kitchen! That’s what I love about living on the farm… Personally, I’ve got duckings and chicks in a water trough in my dining room right now… It’s much more comfortable for them, and I enjoy them much more than in the barn for right now. πŸ™‚

16. So happy for your inside herd and that your son, the Farm Boy, is doing such a great job. The best education there is…… LIFE !! and home schooling.. Great job to your too, Sheri…. Mom.. I think Polyface and the Salatins are an amazing family.. Thank you for sharing a bit of farm life with the rest of us.

in spirit and light, Valerie (^-^)

17. Since I didn’t know where else to put this – the new website looks SO GOOD!! I love it! It looks all scrap-booky amazing. Great job, you guys!

• Sheri Salatin says:

Thanks, daisyglitters, I guess this is what happens when you stay up late and can’t sleep one night πŸ™‚ Things start getting re-created! Ha! πŸ˜€

18. Pingback: Sheep Report | Polyface Hen House