Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

We sure have been practicing our egg cleaning and packing skills here at Polyface.  You know how many eggs we are getting a day?  270 dozen!!!  In a week that is 22,680 eggs!!  That, my dear readers, is a lot of eggs.  I enjoy it though, it is the signal that the days work is drawing to a close.  It is a nice time to catch up with everyone on what got accomplish in the day and what is in store for the next day.  With 5-6 people it takes us about an hour to clean and packages the days eggs.

IMG_0969

9 cases of eggs a day!

IMG_0966

Part of the days gathering. Total is around 14-15 baskets. :)

Needless to say we all here at Polyface and all of our patrons are enjoying the worlds best eggs in abundance!  What is your favorite thing to make with spring eggs?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

20 Responses to Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

1. Hamza says:

What do you do with the eggs? Who do you sell it to?

2. Emmy says:

I would love to hear how Polyface cleans their eggs. I’ve heard and read so many different versions. Could you share? Hot or cold, dry or damp, air dry or wipe dry? Thanks 🙂

3. Mickie says:

I’ll never complain again….

4. Sue Mckown says:

How do you clean your eggs?

• Leanna Hale says:

Hi Sue,
      For cleaning our eggs we just wipe off any little spots with a damp cloth. Any eggs that are really dirty we wash in warm water with Basic-H.

5. Jennifer says:

Are your chickens all the same breed?

6. Our favorite food to make with eggs are milkshakes! 🙂 Lovely post, SO. MANY. EGGS! 🙂

7. Katrina says:

Yes, how do you clean them?

8. Spring flush for eggs here too – though I’m getting more like 5 dozen/day. Company on any job makes the task go faster, I always think. If I’m chatting to someone while I wash eggs, the time whips by – it’s when I’m on my own that the task seems to drag. Do you have to candle or grade your eggs?

9. Alejandro says:

Wow! I’ve never seen so many eggs! how many chickens do you have in the Polyface farm?

I love to cook and bake with our eggs but I also love that thanks to our excess eggs we no longer buy dog food, cat food or pig food…. They get other things than eggs but eggs make a large part up. Eggs and organ meats from chicken and rabbit processing makes up the other large part of our dog and cat food and kitchen and garden scraps make up the balance of Hamlet’s diet. I am convinced that raising one at a time, I can take a pig all the way to butcher size on our excess and pasture alone 🙂

11. Tasha says:

OH how we dream of having farm fresh eggs (chickens) of our own one day. For now I do get fresh ones from my SIL.
    I love eggs cups. Eggs in a muffin tin…favorite-baby spinach in first, then egg and Feta cheese on top. YUM!

12. Be says:

Homemade Mayonnaise!

13. I’m also wondering how many chickens you have! I was all excited about getting almost a dozen a day until I read this. Now I have egg envy!!

14. Liam says:

How many chickens are on your farm? How many years do you keep a typical chicken and how do you keep track of them? Do you sell them for meat after several years?

15. littledeer says:

if you do the math, they would have about 3500 laying hens yielding 3240 eggs per day. They sell to local retailers and also at the farm market.

16. I too was hoping for egg cleaning tips that you use.. Thank you so much. I am so grateful I got to spend a weekend learning new farming techniques from Joel and all of you.. Thanks again. in spirit and light, Valerie (^-^)

17. OK, I just read your cleaning tips. Thank you and ignore the request above. Thought I had read all the answers, but missed that one.. oops…. (^-^)

18. Tim says:

What is the difference between the Feathernet and the Eggmobile. I see different chickens in the video… Do the hearty egg layers go in the egg mobile and the older chickens go to the feathernet for fattening up to be dressed as a stewing hen?

• Sheri Salatin says:

Hi Tim,
      The Egg Mobile is our Pasture Sanitation Program – the eggs in that are simply a by-product. 🙂 The egg mobile is there strictly because we have cows. Just like in nature where the birds follow the wildebeests across the plains of Africa?

The Feathernet is our commercial egg business. If we didn’t have cows, this is how we would raise all of our egg-layers. It’s much more land intensive than the egg-mobiles.

Hope this helps