Of Snow and Warm Breakfast Goodness

IMG_2712[1]While visiting my family in MI this week we got the snow they were needing so badly.  In three days, 16″ of snow accumulated and there may be more coming.  Although snow is not something I enjoy very much I do realize that many places need it for moisture…, and it is pretty to look at.

IMG_2711[1]And this tower of loveliness is a new recipe I tried over the weekend.  I have been reading more of Nourishing Traditions and also a book called Cure Tooth Decay, more on the book later, and from these have decided to try cutting out/down on my intake of grains.  The difficult part for me is that I still enjoy items like pasta and pancakes, but I don’t mind trying a replacement for them as I feel so much better when I don’t eat those products.

I found this recipe for Grain-free Pumpkin Pancakes, from the blog Wellness Mama, and thought some of you might also enjoy.  They are very simple, tasty and would be great to make when you have large quantities of eggs to use up!  Plus I love that I can feed them to my little man and not worry about how many to let him have.  I did add the vanilla and allspice, but you could also leave them out or add other spices/flavors to make them your “own”.

Grain Free Pumpkin Pancakes:

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • ¼ cup pumpkin puree (GAPS legal canned pumpkin puree or homemade)
  • ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
  • dash of allspice
  • 1/4 tsp. of vanilla
  • Coconut oil for the pan
  • Raw butter, raw honey, maple syrup, or fruit butter for serving
Instructions
  1. Warm a cast iron pan over medium high heat.
  2. Whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, allspice and vanilla.
  3. Add about a tablespoon of coconut oil to the hot pan and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan.
  4. Use about two scant tablespoons of batter for each pancake. They flip best when the pancakes are small.
  5. Cook until golden on the bottom and slightly opaque in the center and around the edges.
  6. Flip, brown on the other side, and serve.
  7. Makes about 8 small pancakes, for 1 large serving or 2 medium servings.

How has your winter been?

About Erin Phelan

Born and raised in western Michigan, Erin came to Polyface first as an intern in the summer of 2009. While here she met and got to know Grady Phelan, an apprentice at the time. The next spring they were married and after a couple years in Oklahoma they are back, working as sub-contractors for Polyface. Erin keeps herself busy with the jobs of a wife and mother, as well as helping with the animals, gardening, sewing, cooking, baking, knitting and reading.
ErinPermalink

10 Responses to Of Snow and Warm Breakfast Goodness

1. amanda says:

.. making these right now! yum.

2. keileigh says:

These sound delicious! I have several pumpkins on the front porch ready to be roasted and pureed, and now I have a great reason to get started!

3. I agree — these sound delicious! Another grain-free pancake recipe I’m planning to try is on the following page: http://www.nourishingdays.com/2010/07/fluffy-coconut-flour-pancakes/.

We’ve had a week of bone-chilling cold in Maryland.

4. Those pancakes look yummy. No snow here – we’re getting frost most mornings, but not the kind of cold that freezes the waterers. Plenty of rain though – and that means mud.

Yum! Those look and sound amazing. You can keep the snow. We desperately need rain here in Florida but you can keep the snow. When we get snow everything shuts down because we are not equipped to handle it. Never forget the Christmas snow storm of 1989. My Uncle from New England was down and was baffled as to why our snow trucks were not clearing the roads…… Welcome to Florida where the concept of snow plows and salt trucks are a foreign language.

6. I love that recipe! It’s one of my favorites. I also love Nourishing Days coconut flour pancakes – yes, a fancy and non-local ingredient (well, it’s local to us here in Queensland, Australia!) but delicious, grain-free, and lower carbohydrate to those of us who don’t tolerate complex carbs all that well. http://www.nourishingdays.com/2010/07/fluffy-coconut-flour-pancakes/

7. We had family over for dinner tonight and when they started to leave, we peeked out the window to several inches of snow on their car that had accumulated while we ate. My hubby had to take out the garbage tonight and I went out to the compost bin about thirty minutes later and I couldn’t even see his tracks anymore it had snowed so much. I was going to be bugged a little since it somewhat messes up road conditions, but heard by morning it will be raining and going up to 47 degrees some time tomorrow afternoon. Welcome back to Michigan! Crazy weather is the norm! 😉

I love, love, love pumpkin pancakes. I make them every Saturday but I use a multigrain mix starter and then do the rest, sort of similar to what you did (except I cheat and use Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Pie Spice for a little flavor). I did not even think of omitting the grain entirely. I will have to try it! What a yummy idea!

8. Alana says:

Great delicious! Especially looks are so good.

9. Liana says:

Looks are so yummy! I love this recipes very much.

10. Audra says:

This is delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will try this and let you know soon. I love pumpkins.