Re-visiting an old post from last winter today…how do you make your life sunny when it’s cold and dreary outside?
The Winter Blues are hitting, my friends. It’s dark, it’s cold, and I for one feel like eating pancakes every meal of the day. What’s a farm girl to do?
I started compiling a list of things one can do to beat these blues – things that remind us that Spring is out there on the horizon. Will you chime in with your suggestions and help me add to this list? Here’s what I’ve come up with so far, tips I’ve heard from friends and also from the far reaches of the wise ol’ internet:
- Expose yourself to sunlight as much as you can, and as early in the day as possible. It helps you wake up more easily and gives you the energy to get going.
- Laugh every day. (In all seasons this is important, but especially in winter.) I’ve even heard that if you cannot find something to laugh about, try to make your diaphragm go through the motions it would make if you were actually laughing. This can trick the brain into producing serotonin and all the other “happy” hormones. Or, proves to be so ridiculous-looking that you actually do start laughing!
- Get some movement in every day, outside in the fresh air. From farm chores to walks around the neighborhood, movement does a body good.
- Make a goal or start a new project. One friend recently told me it’s helpful to plan to learn something new every month of the year. It gives you an attainable benchmark as well as the satisfaction of looking back in December and listing the twelve new things you attempted that year.
- Make a list of the things you like about winter – and then set out to enjoy those things! Snow, warm clothes, fires in the fireplace…
- Plan your spring garden.
- Make your environment a happy place to be. Wear bright colors, play music that speaks to your soul, cook things that give you “joy in the belly.”
- Ask your doctor or nutritionist what vitamins or supplements you could add in to give you a boost.
What do YOU do to keep on the sunny side? Tell me in the comments!