Weaving

There is still plenty of work to do around here at Polyface, but with the time change this past weekend there are definitely more evening hours to do things.  One of my hobbies that I am a few years into is weaving.

I don’t remember what intrigued me about weaving or what got me started thinking about it in the first place.  But about 4 years ago I found myself searching for a loom and eventually found one on eBay that was within driving distance.

I immediately convinced my parents that I really would use it, since I would have to find space in the house for a 4 foot wide floor loom.   So off I went to pick it up.  It was old, rusty, and dusty and I didn’t have a clue how to weave or where to begin.  That didn’t matter though because I had a loom and I was going to make things.  And make things I did.

It took me a little while to figure out how everything worked, how to set it up, and then how to actually weave (the fun part)!  Deborah Chandler’s book, Learning to Weave, had all the instruction I needed to see me on my way to becoming a weaver.

My first project was very simple.  A jean rug, where I used old pairs of jeans that were full holes.  I cut them into strips and sewed them together to make longer strips.  It was very obvious that it was my first project.  My warp (yarn that runs front to back on the loom), didn’t have even tension, I figured too short on how much warp to put on, and the edge is well, wavy instead of straight.  But I was thrilled, and I proudly have that rug right now at my kitchen sink.

My next projects got more challenging, although in the weaving world they are very basic.  I am always so excited when I finish weaving a project, take it off the loom, and put it to use.  I have mostly woven scarves, towels, and rugs.  I hope to do some blankets soon.  I am looking forward to my long evenings!

A sampling of some of the things that I have woven.

How do you fill your long evening hours?  Anyone else out there weave?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

11 Responses to Weaving

1. Kristen says:

Wow, Leanna, these are beautiful! You are an inspiration to me! I hope you have a blessed day! 🙂

2. Deb says:

Just lovely and yes, I weave too! I’ve always been fascinated by weaving, spinning, and other fiber arts. A year ago I took the plung….I took a class and quickly found a 30 yr old 45″ floor loom for sale. After a summer of other activites I finally have a large warp for tea towels going on this weekend! Can’t wait to get back at it 🙂

3. Wow, I’m super impressed! Those are beautiful! I’m spending my evenings knitting! My family is doing a $10 Christmas Challenge, so I have LOTS of knitting to do! http://www.greeneggsandgoats.com/2012/11/10-christmas-challenge.html

4. Susie Styer says:

beautiful work! very inspiring post also, I have always wanted to weave, maybe I will start looking for a loom…………….:)

5. cyndi lewis says:

I’m very impressed. Weaving seems like it would be a hard skill to learn.

6. Wow, your work is beautiful! How long does it take for you to do a typical project? My stepmum used to weave, (the loom was huge, I think about 6 feet square on the floor, roughly), abut she was retired and had way more time than you likely do for this craft.

7. Wow! That is so cool!!

8. Molly says:

Thank you for sharing, that is amazing! I am so impressed that you figured that all out. That really inspires me.

Wow, I am impressed, you make me feel like a total slacker!

10. Laura says:

Tis the season for weaving for sure! My own homestead is so busy right now that I’m really looking forward to being on the road and stopping by a friend’s house in WV. Last spring when I was there I warped up one of her looms, in between showing her how to frame up a hoop house greenhouse, and visiting her husband in the hospital. Sadly, he passed shortly after my visit and she told me this morning that she may have to work during my visit. I told her, …”Not to worry, I have weaving plans!” This winter I’m going to finish weaving it off and tie one on—again!

11. Hannah Kilpatrick says:

Awesome. All your pieces look so cool.