10 years ago…

Several months back, I hosted a discussion on my personal blog about love at first sight.

(Guys, you may want to leave this post now. It’s guaranteed to be feel good and mushy.) πŸ˜‰

The answers ranged from “no, it takes time to grow in love” to “attraction at first sight, yes, but not love at first sight.”

For the most part, we think the idea of love at first sight is romantic but not realistic.

I agree.

2005

The day that I met my husband, I was 16 and very much not into boys. I had just gotten my driver’s license and was preparing to go a on short term mission’s trip. We had a small family farm and I was really into the farm life. I milked our dairy cow every day and I was working part time for the general store in our teeny tiny town.

This was normal life for me. I was responsible and focused. I only had a couple months left in high school. I was homeschooled and determined to graduate as soon as possible. In Texas, I couldn’t legally graduate until I turned 17, so I did all of my work and had every thing done and waited until my 17th birthday in January 1997 to send in my last paper.

The day was August 12, 1996. My family was on “vacation” to Virginia. I use the word “vacation” lightly because in reality we were headed to a farm to learn how to butcher chickens. Isn’t that what most folks do during their time off?

Well, it felt normal to me.

We arrived at Polyface Farm mid-afternoon and proceeded to make our way to the Salatin house. This memory is forever etched in my brain. It was one of the most powerful moments of my life. I remember walking into the house and being introduced to Mr. and Mrs. Salatin and Rachel and then HE walked down the stairs.

Actually it was more like a gallop with thundering steps, but I digress.

HE flashed a pearly white smile and said, “Howdy! I’m Daniel.”

Time stood still.

I made eye contact.

I knew.

HE was THE ONE.

My mouth still gets dry thinking about it and I have to rub my chin where it hit the floor in a thump. It was almost as though lightning struck my heart and it sizzled and stuttered. In reality only seconds passed and no one noticed anything amiss. (for which I am very grateful) However as for me, I was changed forever. The no nonsense girl with a clear goal in mind had just had her world turn on end. HE was the first boy I’d ever “noticed”.

Was it love at first sight?

Did I think it was love at first sight?

At the time, yes. Most definitely.

It would be almost seven years from that moment until the day we said “I do”.

During the years that followed, I developed a friendship with HIM and learned about his personality and quirks. And then I finally fell in love. True love. The kind that doesn’t go away. The kind that holds fast through thick and thin. The kind that takes work and is a conscious decision to nurture every day.

To show you how convinced I was that HE was it, let me remind you that I lived in Texas and he lived in Virginia. We did not see each other very often. In fact, when we married, we had seen each other so seldom, we were able to count the days from the moment we met to the moment of our wedding.

45 days.

Crazy?

We wrote letters and I-M’ed (instant messaged) and talked on the phone. These were the days before unlimited long distance. Whew! You talk about phone bills! I think that he only proposed so that he could afford to keep living. πŸ™‚

No, seriously though. The long distance relationship was good. I think that in many ways we knew each other better than most people who are neighbors do. You see, all that time we spent in email and on the phone, we had to talk. We couldn’t just sit and hold hands. We communicated.

Now, here we are, celebrating our ten year anniversary today and I can honestly say that I grow more and more in love with my husband every day.

2010

If you have a husband, what’s your story? (if you don’t want to share it ALL here, will you share it on your blog and link back to me?”

If you don’t have a husband and are still happily single, what are your goals and plans in life? Are you content with where you are?

SheriPermalink

10 Responses to 10 years ago…

1. Elizabeth says:

Wow…too funny. Your story is a bit like mine. I met my husband when I was 16 and I too was not into boys. We “dated” long distance for 7 years too. But there was no internet. We wrote letters everyday the old fashioned way and mailed them with stamps! Long distance was a fortune and we called rarely. It was 1983. We didn’t know at first sight that we each were “the one” but it came shortly after. We had to finish highschool and then college. I went to college for 5 years and he went for 8 years. Marriage had to wait until we were done with college and that was probably the best decision we ever made. It made our relationship that much stronger. We have been married for 22 years and have 5 children that we homeschool!
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

2. Annie Carlson says:

Just blogged about our meeting a week or so ago! Love your story and Happy Anniversary!!

3. Rachel Palma says:

My husband Matt and I met at an internship in Garden Valley, Texas called Teen Mania’s Honor Academy. We were in the same Core Group the whole year and were able to really get to know each other as we went through some of the hardest challenges in our life. At this internship you were not allowed to date anyone, whether they were in the internship or not. After we graduated, I moved to Virginia to go to school and he went home to Pennsylvania to go to school. For the next 5 months we talked on the phone religiously (he ran up a $500 phone bill)! And we were able to take a few trips to see each other every once in a while. After 5 months, he flew down to Florida (I was at home with my family for Christmas) just so that he could see me and ask my parents for their blessing for us to date. Of course, they said YES! I am so thankful for that time at the Honor Academy where we could really get to know each other without having to worry about whether he liked me or I liked him or yadda yadda yadda πŸ™‚ Needless to say, our relationship grew and grew and he is still my best friend in the whole world and I love him more than I can ever express! 3 years later, and I could still spend every minute of every hour of every day with him and never get tired of him! And I’m looking forward to many, many more years together πŸ™‚

I met my husband Rick online just a few years ago. I was 41, my boys were grown, and I was back in school working on a long sought after medical degree. I was not dating, I was not looking but friends had urged me to get back out there. I was in school and had little opportunity to meet anyone my own age. On a wild hair I posted on a free local dating site. I talked to Rick online and on the phone for a while before I got up my nerve and agreed to meet him for dinner. The night came, I meet him at a local restaurant, I pulled up in my old pickup truck and this adorable man crawled out of a candy apple red sports car. My first thought was that we were going to have nothing in common. I was SO wrong, we talked nonstop at dinner, he asked to extend the evening and see a movie, we did, then he asked to extend the evening further shooting pool, and we did. We have been inseparable ever since. It is like we have been together all of our lives. Last January 1st was our one year anniversary. He allows me to be me and loves me just as I am, and I feel the same way about him. The lord sends you exactly what you need when you are not even looking. BTW….. he had a beat up old truck of his own sitting back on his farm……….

5. I love your story! I met my hubby when he was about 16 and I was 14. He was into the whole long hair and leather jacket look at the time and I was all about being preppy and loving sports. He came over to me at church, thrust out his hand and said, “Hi, I’m Dave!” I saw the long dark hair, the leather jacket and thought, “EW!” πŸ™‚ About five years later, we actually talked (he had outgrown the long hair and black leather jacket thing by then) and I went home, called my friend and told her that he was not boyfriend material, he was husband material. He left for Texas a few months after we started dating (which, like you, I think intensely helps to truly build a relationship through friendship) for mission training. We both have a 3-ring binder each that is about 2 inches thick filled with letters we wrote to each other (I relate to the lamenting of long distance phone bills!). We got married about a year after he came home from the missions training and we’ve been married for 13 years now. It does get better, that’s for sure! I do think it’s funny that when we got married, I thought we were just exactly alike. After about a year of marriage, I thought we couldn’t be any more different. Now, we’re blended together and solidified, we’ve learned how to communicate well and it’s something that is clearly the work of the Lord.

Happy Anniversary! And many more!

6. Tawanda says:

I’m going with “I believe” and I couldn’t be more happy over your story – thanks for sharing it. Happy Anniversary!

7. Melinda says:

My husband and I met “uptown” at Sonic during Spring Break. I was dragging Main with a girlfriend and he was visiting with some guys. Long story short, we ended up in his pick-up that night driving around. I remember thinking “He has a farm tag on his truck and tools on the floorboard. This guy’s the real thing!” I was a farm girl and was determined that I had to marry a farmer! We hung out for a couple months after that, dragging Main and muddin’ (that’s what young people did in our small, southern Kansas town.) We went on our first official date May 26, 2000. I knew by the end of the night that he was “the one.” He was 24, I was 20. He proposed in July and we were married on Dec. 30, 2000. We’ve been happily married for almost 12 years now! Most people said we moved way too fast, but we knew each other well. Looking back, I’m not sure what I would think if one of my daughters pulled that same stunt, but it worked for us πŸ™‚

8. kelli says:

Love your story! I was sixteen as well and my huband, 17. We were highschool sweethearts spending our first year dating together but my husband got a scholarship to an Illinois college and we spent the next two years doing the long distance thing. We knew that we were going to get married though. I was head-over-heels for this guy and he thought I was okay too.:) The Lord lead our relationship to new heights and we were married at 21 years old. Society shuns young marriage these days, but we were so glad that we waited and did things God’s way, stayed pure and there is such blessing in that!! Now we have four awesome children (and one on the way) and we enjoy homesteading in our suburban area of sunny Florida. Thanks for sharing your story. So sweet! Blessings, Kelli

9. Amy says:

I met my husband when I was 22 and he was 21, and for me it WAS love at first sight. He however, wasn’t in love until second sight πŸ™‚ . We didn’t have a long distance relationship, but we did date during a deployment. We were both in the military at the time, and, though no one believed us, we did follow the strict rules prohibiting public displays of affection (and the only places to meet were in public) while we were deployed. I describe that time as a courtship, which was such a blessing! We got to know each other through long conversation, letters during the busy working week, and meals shared with dozens of other men and women in a mess hall. When a man falls in love with you during the months of your “courtship” despite your wearing little or no make-up, having hair that can never be let down, and wearing a uniform that makes you look about as curvy as a cardboard box, you KNOW it’s for real! I never thought that I would end my military service, and begin my next journey, hand in hand with someone else, but I did. And, I’m so glad I did.

Thanks for your story! May your marriage be strong and wonderful for all of your years!

10. kzettler63 says:

I met my 2nd husband off a free dating site. He was an OTR truck driver. We talked on the phone, emails, and he would do youtube videos. He would als right me poems, which I have kept. We didn’t get to meet for almost 2 months. Once we did, it was love for me. He had already fallen for me before we had even met. He said I was the woman of his dreams when he saw my picture on the dating site. We’ve been together for over 4 years now and married for over 2 of those 4 years. He no longer drives a big rig since we found out he has a heart problem. You could say we had a long honeymoon since he was only home for 3 days every 3-4 weeks when he was driving…lol.