Pumpkins!!!

Yesterday I had a grand time harvesting my pumpkins!

I didn’t really know how many were out there because the vines were so prolific all summer long.  Everyone here knows that estimating poundage is not one of my strengths.  Before I went out to pick them I was guessing that I might get 100-200 pounds of pumpkins.  When I returned with 353 pounds, I was happy. 🙂

A couple days before I had harvested the butternut squash from hoop house 5 and got 357 pounds!  It is a pleasant feeling to know that I have all that poundage squirreled away for the winter.  I also have a long row of carrots that will overwinter in the ground, beets, potatoes, and greens (still in the garden).    If it wasn’t for the greens that I have out in the garden I think that I would feel ready for the snow to fly!

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

14 Responses to Pumpkins!!!

1. farmerblu says:

Are those the Long Island Cheese Pumpkins? Those are my favorites!!!

• Leanna Hale says:

They look really similar to the Long Island Cheese Pumpkins, but they are the Tan Cheese Pumpkin variety.

2. do you pick the butternut squash through the season, or just wait until the end of season and harvest it all at once? this was my first year planting them, i only had a few small plants but was really happy with results, definitely looking to step it up next year, thanks for the posts they are very inspirational

3. cyndi lewis says:

Awesome! Can’t wait for my winter garden next year! We moved onto our property too late this year to do much gardening. But we are already planning for next year! Of course we will need to learn to appreciate squash. Got any good recipes?

4. Barry Newman says:

Do you eat your pumpkins?

5. Christina Hale says:

Beautiful Leanna!

6. Wow! That’s a lot of pumpkins! Hooray! Do you make pumpkin pie? 🙂

Yum! We grew Seminole pumpkins this year, they have become a favorite.

8. audio design says:

do you pick the butternut squash through the season, or just wait until the end of season and harvest it all at once? this was my first year planting them, i only had a few little plants but was really happy with results, certainly looking to step it up next year, thanks for the posts they are very inspirational