Pullets!

With the last batch of broilers on the pasture my brooder had been quietly empty for a week. But now it is full of Barred Rock pullets happily peeping, running around, and scratching through their bedding.  The cornish-cross are cute as chicks, but in my opinion they quickly lose their cuteness.  I love pullets as chicks because they retain their cuteness state for so much longer.  Here are a few pictures for you to enjoy!  Photos were taken by my beautiful sister Christina.  Thanks Christina!

What is signaling the change of seasons on your farm?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

13 Responses to Pullets!

1. Cyndi Lewis says:

What signals fall at our place? Too much fresh food on the counters waiting to be processed while I’m busy starting up a new homeschool year with the children… fall days should include more hours!

2. Craig Storms says:

Why the timing of your BR’s ? Why hatch them now ?

3. I hear you about the fruit needing attention while so much else is going on…me too. As to other signs of seasonal change – i’m loving the cooler nights. Perfect weather for me right now – warm days, cool nights. My energy level increases just at the thought. Our last batch of broilers has 12 more days on pasture and then I’ll just be down to the old layer flock (due to go in the freezer) and the new flock of Red Sussex pullets that are about a month away from laying. My chore time is going to cut down just about the time the morning light does.

4. Rock Run says:

Mums all around my farm are blooming, corn stalks rustling like sand paper, the sunlight is beginning to slant into my backyard and the breeze has a touch of winter on it. I love this time of year.

5. Food everywhere that needs processing for winter stores. Busy time but very rewarding…ditto what Cyndi said – the days are too short!

Fall this year means no new meat birds being started. Two of the three grow out tractors have roosters ready to be processed and pullets ready to be moved into their own laying coop. The third tractor has birds that are a couple of weeks out from processing and then we are not starting any more until spring. We have plenty of chicken in the freezer to get us through winter plus lots of rabbit and more litters in the grow out tractors that will be ready to process soon. All of this means a winding down of animal chores 🙂

7. Ewetoo says:

I am right there with you!! Makes me want to start school in October! but then I want to finish in April!! Just doesn’t work 🙂

8. Amy E. Boren says:

This is a burning question, you might be able to answer for me. WHY do eggs (even organic) taste funny, almost like they are injected with something, bought at different stores around town? (This is within the last few months) Does it have something to do with bird flu?

• I’ll try to respond. I haven’t noticed any strange tastes but our pastured eggs do change throughout the year as temperatures change, bug populations shift, pasture greens mature and vary and daylight hours shorten. Real eggs are anything but consistent month to month. Wait till we put our chickens on turnip greens! Talk about orange yolks!

9. Natures pace says:

What hatchery do you get your boilers?