Lil’ bit of bliss

Spider web on swinging bridge

We’ve been weaving our way through this wonderful life with the intent of finding our”bliss.” In other words, living in sync with what what speaks to us, what brings us joy.  Isn’t it interesting that desire led us to Buxton Farm?

Desire is like that, you never know where it will take you. If you’re up for the ride it can open doors that change your life forever. Buxton has done that indeed.

Local artist makes stain glass for tiny front door

A few years ago we discovered creative people building portable spaces, tiny homes on wheels. I became interested immediately. We considered building one for sometime. When we moved to Virginia we found a local artisanal woodworker. He’s a remarkable builder, we hired immediately. What fun it was to create this space.

Our tiny studio

I’m looking forward to painting the tiny soon. Earth tones. Something soft but appealing and warm.  At Buxton we kept the natural poplar look, it blends in with some of the older outbuildings on this old farm which was what we wanted. It’s fun thinking about how sweet it will look when it has some color.

TIny comes to Buxton

Inside this 8×16 space is our loft with high ceilings, the perfect ceiling fan for hot humid nights, american clay plaster walls which are so much more appealing than paint, beautiful  poplar hardwood floors, and passive solar windows. The high ceilings give it a spacious feeling. It’s really the perfect room for us. We have gorgeous views at every glance and we go to bed every night to the serene song of the river. It’s heavenly.

We can also keep a steadfast eye on the broiler field where our chickens and turkeys range as the tiny is located at the heart of our busy pastures. Many nights packs of coyote pass right by us. Sometimes the cows and hens are right outside our front door. But this is finer than camping! So much more comfortable!

tiny with big views

I highly recommend these small portable spaces! Especially for the gypsy kind of adventurous person! When you’re into following your bliss like we are, being mobile really makes sense. I look forward to a second space with a kitchen and bathroom.

I used to love big old rustic farmhouses. Not anymore. I’m into small spaces easy to heat and cool. I also like befriending more and more the concept of living as a minimalist. There’s something freeing about that. Building small spaces can fit in almost everyone’s budget. You can learn more at tumbleweedhouses.com. I know some of you will appreciate these special spaces.

WInter in the tiny

About Grace

Grace and her husband Michael manage Buxton a Polyface satellite farm. Her first passion is to align with radiant health. She knows intimately that when you have your health you can do anything. Next, her passion for vibrant healthy food and beautiful landscapes along with her interest in permaculture influenced Grace's decision to align with the Polyface farming model. With 20 years of experience in the healing arts, she feels growing food and pasture raising animals is one of the greatest healers and a true source of personal empowerment. It's been said, "if you're not living on the edge your taking up too much space." Grace lives joyfully on the "leading edge" surrounded by the breathtaking beauty of the appalachian mountains where her and Michael steward 1000 acres with profound appreciation."
UntaggedPermalink

12 Responses to Lil’ bit of bliss

It is lovely. I have been intrigued by these houses for years and seriously considered building one back when I was single. Do you use yours full time or as a retreat space?

• Grace says:

Thank you! Right now we use it for meditation and slumber. It gives us privacy on the farm. Our apprentices sleep in the farmhouse. Having the tiny this season has made all the difference in the world. I do much better when I have a private place to decompress. This place is just that!

2. Love it! We want to build something like that as a retreat in the woods on our property.

• Grace says:

The woods sound great. One thing we really appreciate is having electricity inside. It makes a difference!

• I think we’ll have to forgo electricity due to the distance from the rest of the buildings. Since it will be a retreat anyway, I think it will be nice to not have modern amenities in it. However, there’s a lot to be said for air conditioning. LOL!

3. kimberly says:

I have an big, old farmhouse now. I never knew living in the city what it took to heat and cool a house really. Having to chop every piece of wood to heat makes one really aware of what it take. Now I recommend smaller homes to people. 🙂

• Grace says:

Buxton farmhouse is big, old and breezy in winter. Since it was built over 100 years ago it’s also in a wind zone which is really uncomfortable during the cold months. I’m not sure what it takes to take these old places down and start over with small efficient places but since I’ve lived in a lot of peoples older homes that’s what I feel makes more sense. Good design just makes so much more sense these days. I no longer romanticize old funky places. Give me small energy efficient spaces!

4. Marilyn Wilkie says:

We’ve lived in 1000 square ft. for the last 21 years. Perfect for two people. Before that we lived in a 32′ fifth wheel and traveled the US for a year like tumbleweeds. I loved that. We had our 2 dogs and 2 cats with us. I could go back to living in a traveling fifth wheel easily. We had everything we really needed right there. The sense of freedom was amazing. It’s a big world out there just waiting to be discovered. I too collect tiny house books.

• Grace says:

I love this! Thank you for affirming this feeling! There’s something about bringing “home” with you wherever we go. Really it’s an inside job but I must admit having some personal comfort along the way is priceless. Building the tiny is one of the smartest things we’ve done! Now let us get onto that second one soon!

5. Jenna Pecoraro says:

Oh Grace, Im in love with the tiny! I’m convinced I will build one!!