Joys and Trials

As with life on any farm, ours is busy and full, but I am very content with the life I live.  Being in a rural setting, raising animals, growing vegetables, being a wife and mother and all that those jobs entail.  These have been my dreams for so long and I am so thankful that they have come to be.

There are times, however, that I miss the freedom of not having a child always under foot, (I was able to accomplish so much more in a day) or waking me in the middle of the night, screaming, because his teeth hurt, or complaining for whatever reason he thinks necessary.

But then I get him laughing so hard his whole body shakes.  Or he lays his head on my shoulder and relaxes.  Or I  watch as he discovers something new in his little world and I’m in awe all over again at how intricate life is.  Then there is the midnight feeding when he looks up at me and smiles.  My heart melts and I know that all the trials are worth it and I really wouldn’t trade my motherhood for anything the world has to offer.

So although my life is far from perfect I am quite sure that I have a little piece of heaven here on earth.

About Erin Phelan

Born and raised in western Michigan, Erin came to Polyface first as an intern in the summer of 2009. While here she met and got to know Grady Phelan, an apprentice at the time. The next spring they were married and after a couple years in Oklahoma they are back, working as sub-contractors for Polyface. Erin keeps herself busy with the jobs of a wife and mother, as well as helping with the animals, gardening, sewing, cooking, baking, knitting and reading.
ErinPermalink

11 Responses to Joys and Trials

1. Grace says:

I love how your life keeps coming together! You seem so satisfied. Bravo!

2. daisyglitter says:

Good perspective, Erin. Just remember, the time that they’re little seems like forever when you’re in it, but it goes by so quickly. Someone said to me once that the days are like years and the years are like days. Enjoy those cheeks, too! He’s so cute!

• Erin Phelan says:

Thank you, I can’t believe how fast it has gone already, so I’m trying to remember that.

3. Annie says:

I completely agree! I have three underfoot (4, 3, and 19mo) but wouldn’t change it for anything!!

4. David & Tina says:

Well said, Erin! I’ve felt and been through most of the exact same things the last few years. But as you said, it’s definitely worth it all…..especially when you consider that this is your retirement fund you’re working on. 😉 If we train them up in the way they should go, the Bible says they won’t depart from it. One day, our little ones (now under-foot) will be taking over our farms and we’ll be the old folks that take a back seat and just help instead of run things. Kinda hard to remember that when they wake up screaming for the 6th time in the same night, eh? Willie has had eczema since he was just a few months old….so I don’t think I’ve gotten an interruption free/full night’s sleep in a loooong while. His rash is much better now and nearly all gone and so he’s learning quickly to do more sleeping and less waking (good for mommy & baby!). They certainly are little blessings from God and He’s given us the responsibility to raise and train them to His glory. I wouldn’t trade it for anything either! I agree, it can’t get any better here on earth than to be a submissive wife & loving mother while living on a farm to raise your own food (and to learn to keep doing better at each of those). That’s exactly what God created us girls for! 🙂

• Erin Phelan says:

Thanks, I know many can relate. Guess I’m just glad to have others to commiserate with.

5. Lynn Andreas says:

Oh, blessings they truly are. Each day is a joy… and a heartache, but now that mine are almost 20 and 17, I know they are truly blessings. There are some real dips in the road from time to time, but they are worth it all. When they turn around before leaving and run back to the house to kiss you goodbye… it makes motherhood the best job in the world.

My boys are grown, 22, 24 and 27 but I remember these days well. The rewarding ones and the ones that felt like they would never end. All three with chicken pox at the same time, then me too, guess I missed it as a child, ah the memories LOL….

7. Mellisa Bencivengo says:

How sweet he is! I totally understand the up late since my youngest was up aroud midnight last night for no apparant reason! I agree with you that it is so wonderful to see them discover something new . . .