Hoop House Gardens

Last week Leilani asked in the comments to see what the rest of the hoop house gardens are looking like, so here the are!  If there is anything that you want to see or hear about here at Polyface let me know in the comments and I will try to make it happen!

Tomatoes! I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the tomatoes have done in the hoop house. They have grown so much they are touching the ceiling!

The sweet corn finished the end of June, but I have a thick patch of volunteer cherry tomato plants that are producing well.

Green Beans!

Sweet potatoes and my “mystery corn”

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

14 Responses to Hoop House Gardens

1. Brandon says:

I would love for you to show us more about the mushrooms. Are yall still doing those. I planted some winecaps but they dont seem to be real successful

2. David & Tina says:

Looks like some great gardens there. I love the beautiful sweet potato patch! Don’t forget to let us all know how the mystery corn turns out. 🙂

We’d really like to hear more on how the rabbit operation is doing. We had a traveling friend pick us up 6 breeding stock rabbits from y’all 2.5 years ago. Then on our honeymoon (2 yrs ago), we picked up 2 more rabbits and visited your farm. That was neat! We’d love to see some pictures of the rabbit processing station. We now have around 75 rabbits at any given time (including adults and bunnies of all ages). Also, some tips and tricks for breeding would be really nice (how to breed stubborn does and how to get bucks to do their job better). How do y’all handle the heat (I’ve heard of people using fans, frozen water bottles, etc.) especially since breeding won’t take if it’s above 85F? How many bunnies do you run per square foot of rabbit tractor (hare pen)? You get the idea……. 🙂 We’d sure appreciate a detailed post about the rabbits and the whole operation!

P.S. Oh yes, forgot to mention…..there are no videos that we could find anywhere (youtube, etc) of a rabbit butchering (skinning, eviscerating, etc., the whole thing) at Polyface……….hint, hint 😉

3. Marilyn Wilkie says:

Leanna, things are looking great in there. I know they love the chicken manure. Is the corn a mystery because it didn’t have a name? Or was it a volunteer?

My tomatoes are doing great too. I built some super sturdy wooden cages this year. The indeterminants can’t even take them over. I have Mortgage Lifters, Celebrities and Amish Paste. Only one plant each (I learned). Also a couple volunteer cherries and yellow pear (lightbulb) tomato plants. Last year I froze those in ziploc bags and earlier in the week I made them all into freezer tomato sauce. Easy.
    Here is a picture of the cages before the tomatoes climbed them.

• Leanna Hale says:

The mystery corn came back with Joel after one of his speaking engagements in New Mexico. All I was told is that it is a blue corn. So I am looking forward to harvest time!
      Wow, your garden is beautiful and the tomato cages look like they will be many years in service!

The gardens look great! Am I seeing electric fencing around some things? The deer found my garden after the flooding and so the battle is on.

5. Svetlana says:

I was thinking about building a single hoop house to accommodate both my garden and my ducks. I would have a divider between the spaces and use a deep litter method. Any thoughts? Would the ducks need for ventilation interfere with the operation of the garden? Or will the deep litter be enough to keep everything warm and growing?

• Leanna says:

I don’t think that the ventilation will be a problem. For warmth it will depend on the climate where you live and what you want to plant in the hoop house. For cool weather crops it might be enough and if you close up the hoop house when it is still a little warm, the warmth that it builds up would keep things from freezing overnight. I hope that if it works out you have great success!

6. Ben says:

What are the risks salmonella in planting root crops in the hoop houses? Does the removal of the deep bedding reduce the risk, or can the bedding be left behind?

• Leanna says:

We definitely remove the bedding. It is not conducive to planting seeds and we need it for the pastures, so we dig out until we hit black dirt and then plant.