Mystery Corn

One of things that I love about the garden is that it always full of surprises and recently has been no exception.  My surprise tonight was picking 80 pounds of tomatoes!

The upcoming surprise that prompted this post is some blue corn that I planted a few weeks ago.  Someone had given Joel two ears of blue seed corn.  Joel asked me to plant it and I happily agreed.

So far it has been doing really well.  I planted it in one of the hoop houses to keep it from cross pollinating with my other sweet corn so I can try and save the seed for next year.  I can’t wait to see what it does!

Do you have any garden surprises this time of year?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

9 Responses to Mystery Corn

1. Well, at least you should know it’s safe. I don’t believe Monsanto or Syrgenta has tried genetically engineering blue corn as they have the ever popular yellow.

2. Naomi Wilson says:

Two days ago, as we were pulling out squash plants, we also pulled up a big ginger root! We love ginger but never planted any. It was a surprise gift from the compost pile!

3. Tasha says:

Our surprise right now is watermelon growing(and like crazy)in our open compost bin. It is fun to watch such beauty growing in a heap of nasty stuff. We have 2 or 3 melons growing and one that is getting very big.
    I love surprises in the garden……and this year in the compost!

Compost pile tomato seedlings were our early surprise. We transplanted a bunch to the main garden and they yielded all shapes and sizes but in sauce size and shape no longer matters. The current compost pile surprise looks to be some type of hard squash, yum!

5. A garden bed that I turned over but never got time to develop further has grown it’s own very dense cover crop of kale and chard. It’s so thick and dense it looks like I planned it that way, till you get close and see the weeds between, lol.

6. Scott says:

Have you seen glass gem corn? I’ve only seen pics and wonder if it’s an internet hoax

7. Pingback: The Courage to Can | Polyface Hen House

8. Kim says:

My garden has several surprises this year: sunflowers in beds that I never had them in; edamame, squash and scarlet runner beans held over from last year. Potatoes that I must have missed last year. Kinda cool, bonus plants!

9. Justin says:

This corn looks very much like an heirloom called “Cherokee White Eagle”