Welcome at the Table

Our interns are here! Oh how we love our interns. Each summer when the new group arrives, it’s like the farm gets a huge breath of fresh air. New energy and excitement are in these new faces. It’s good to have them here!

Drawing inspiration from several people, I put together our dining table and made “name rocks” for each person. I like for people to feel like they are welcome and wanted at the table.

How do you make people feel welcome at your table?

About Brie Aronson

Brie Aronson came to Polyface from southern California. During college, she was diagnosed with food allergies and had to begin asking about the source of every single thing she put in her mouth. This led to an interest in all things food and she sought out a way to learn how it can be produced ethically and sustainably. Her desire is to help people shift their focus from counting calories, being intimidated by their kitchens, and being disconnected from the land to one that experiences the life-giving enjoyment of food. Having completed the internship in summer 2010, she now assists with the buying clubs and sales building, leads school tours of the farm, and will be the summer 2012 farm cook.
BriePermalink

16 Responses to Welcome at the Table

1. Charles says:

I can’t wait to apply in August for next year.

Charles

2. Sandy says:

A good meal, a fun bevie, big table, good conversation, excellent coffee and dessert! If everyone lingers I know it’s been a good table.

I love the name rocks!

Good food, conversation and make everyone feel like family.

4. Simple, easy and beautiful!

5. Mrs H says:

Your name rocks are beautiful, what a wonderful idea!!

We all eat on the floor right now, because we don’t have dining room chairs yet (we do have a table, yippee!). So we just get cozy around the dinner pot 🙂 ha ha

6. I can only dream about applying, but then I am probably too old anyway.

7. Aaron Zink says:

Way to go Savannah! Enjoy your time there.

8. What a beautiful respite from a day of hard work! Beautiful Brie!!

9. Caitlyn M. says:

Great idea, Brie! They look great!

And I am especially excited to see names that I recognize among the name rocks! Hurray for Ben, Savannah, Shrader, and Heather to get the intern positions!! 🙂 I tried my best to have a place at that table this summer, but since I didn’t it is at least nice to see that other friends got the dream summer job.

10. I’m new to your blog, but already love it! Can you give more information about your internships? qualifications? applications? timelines?

11. Kris @ Outback Farm says:

I love zinnias and have them on the table and all over the house now. I also love to cook good ole country food and all things from my own gardens or pastures. There is nothing any better than that.

12. Dawn says:

I like the name rocks idea – casual, funky and decorative. Your table looked wonderful. I bet they all enjoyed that meal. Looks like you’re feeding a small army, probably feels like it with farm appetites.

13. daisyglitter says:

Really cool idea with the name rocks. I try to make everything with as clean of food as possible and then serve up a great pot of tea at the end of a meal from my tea list.