Tomatoes!

I just had to share that I picked my first tomato yesterday!  It seems like so long ago that I planted the tomatoes and now in the up coming weeks I am sure that I will be swamped in them.  The picture below is a German Red Strawberry Tomato.  This is the first year that I have grown this variety and so far it looks like it is doing well.

What is your favorite variety of tomato?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

11 Responses to Tomatoes!

1. joel says:

Great Tomato!! Has anyone ever heard of using Epsom Salt for gardening? If so, how do you use it? My plants are about a foot high with no flowers.

2. Sandy says:

WOW! Lovely! Planted all new varieties this year so I will let you know as I am not picking. Indigo Rose is coming on strong though. Small and supposed to be ready in 70 days…….. stay tuned garden buds 🙂

3. Sandy says:

oh and may I add……… What’s for dinner tonight? I just came in from the garden with a nice basket of pea pods, an arm load of zucchini, and small bucket of blueberries. Grilled zuc’s for sure on a slice of homemade bread topped with fresh basil and garlic mayo. Maybe blueberry parfaits for late dessert. (made yogurt yesterday) Then again we are in for a hot one and it might just be a big plate of watermelon!

4. Kelly says:

I seem to have really good luck this year using bone meal…we have flowers fairly early on but no ripe tomatoes until last week. I have not heard of using epsom though.

My two favorites this year are the Money makers we put in and the volunteers that we transplanted from the compost pile. The volunteers were probably from hybrids as they put on all different size and shape fruit but they have produced like crazy which made up for the odd sizes. I planted cherokee purple, yellow pear and brandywine as well. The yellow pear produced well but succumbed to a late blight very quickly, the cherokee purple put on some fruit but they took so long to ripen that they were susceptible to everything and the brandywine are just starting to ripen and seem to be doing the same as the cherokee purples. We have also been blessed with as many Roma tomatoes that I can pick, due to a friend ending up with way more than they could handle. There is no shortage of canned tomatoes, sauce, stewed etc around here this year. 🙂

A blurb on the Money Makers;

80 days, indeterminate — An old English greenhouse variety and reliable producer of heavy crops of medium-sized, four to five ounce red, globe-shaped tomatoes. Sets fruit well in the greenhouse or outside in many weather conditions. Does well under humid conditions.

6. Black Krim – a russian tomato from the Black Sea. It looks terrible, but you have never tasted a tomato that wonderful!

7. Lyndsey says:

I love the Cherokee Purple. Absolutely delicious and the only large heirloom I have gotten to ripen up before our first frost in Michigan. Last year we had Juliets. They are a “saladette,” we’re halfway between a grape & a Roma. They were very prolific and I put them in the dehydrator & canned them.

• Leilani says:

I think the cherokee purples are just not suited to Florida. I have friends up north that also have great luck with them.

8. audio design says:

The German red strawberry tomato is a new variety of tomato. I think its size is bigger than normal tomato so it will give a good profit to the farmers.

9. audio design says:

The German Red Strawberry Tomato is looking very nice . This new variety of tomatoes is very productive and it also gives good price in the market.