Summer Solstice

Sunrise at Buxton

The longest day of the year falls on June 21st, Summer Solstice. The energy this time of the year radiates! The Solstice marks the outermost extension of light and energy. The days days are long.  We’re up at 5:oo a.m. and moving through these long summer days with chores and projects until it gets dark which out here in the mountains,  is nearly 10:00 p.m. It’s amazing.

I love early morning chores. No sleeping in at Buxton. The birds just wont’ have it! Their singing is clearly in invitation to rise up and greet the day. That doesn’t mean we don’t bask in afternoon siestas whenever possible. Remember we’re learning how to pace ourselves this season.

Hens moving down country roads following the herd

Who doesn’t like being outside engaged in exercise and activities  in the long hours of summer daylight?

And how about those fireflies this time of the year who appear at dusk? They bring back so many fond memories.  Growing up we called them “lightning bugs.” They fill the pastures. I  get to watch them from our studio windows before drifting asleep. It’s very soothing.

“I’m guilty”

This is such a sensual special time of the year. It’s opposite of course is Winter Solstice December 21st. Just imagine where you might be 6 months from now when it’s dark and cold. The time of the year to be within. What contrast this wonderful life gives us. This is a terribly fertile time! Enjoy this radiant life giving summer solstice celebration. We are!

Hens in Campbell Field at dawn

Double rainbow last week at Buxton. Just for yoU!

About Grace

Grace and her husband Michael manage Buxton a Polyface satellite farm. Her first passion is to align with radiant health. She knows intimately that when you have your health you can do anything. Next, her passion for vibrant healthy food and beautiful landscapes along with her interest in permaculture influenced Grace's decision to align with the Polyface farming model. With 20 years of experience in the healing arts, she feels growing food and pasture raising animals is one of the greatest healers and a true source of personal empowerment. It's been said, "if you're not living on the edge your taking up too much space." Grace lives joyfully on the "leading edge" surrounded by the breathtaking beauty of the appalachian mountains where her and Michael steward 1000 acres with profound appreciation."
UntaggedPermalink

10 Responses to Summer Solstice

1. Tasha says:

It gets HOT, HOT, HOT here in Texas during this amazing season, but I still LOVE it!
    Great pictures and post reflecting on the beauty of SUMMER. Happy Wednesday!

2. Sandy says:

When people ask; what’s your favorite time of the year?”. I always think it’s about the same as picking a favorite a child. They are each so different and loved. Winter is time to reflect, percolate, brew and steep. As I grow older I find myself embracing each season, even summer when I can’t seem to run fast enough. We don’t have air conditioning, I sleep with windows open. The robin starts chipping around 4:30 am. Cannot think of a better alarm clock! We will be in the 90’s today and I expect long about 3 pm it will be time to sit down with a glass of rhubarb cordial and lemon. Stay cool and have a great one!

• My favorite time of year seems to always be the one that’s not here yet. Yoda chastized Luke about that…lol.

• Grace says:

I have forgotten what air conditioning feels like. But I know it feels good from time to time!

The river keeps things so moist on the farm. Brings in tons of morning fog. You will find us basking in this heat wave.

3. Quote: — >> “I love early morning chores. No sleeping in at Buxton.”

Buxton ? Isn’t that the very same place where banker Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) left that tin box with money and instructions for his friend Ellis Boyd “Red” Redding (Morgan Freeman) under that oak tree along the stone wall in the Hay Field ?

Kidding!!!

Over here in Sweden it’s been mostly light alot. Get’s dark around 11:00 and light at around 2:30 in the morning. We have to keep some dark sheets up around the windows along with the closed shudders or louvers.

But I’m definite a morning person before sun comes up. Well, back over there of course, not here. I’m looking forwards to warmer drier conditions than we’ve been experiencing so far this year. I hate having to leave the furnace on in summertime. Wrote today about my love for deserts and desert ecosystems. That made me warm if only in my mind.

Kevin

• Grace says:

Wow! That must be really intense. Sounds like life in Alaska. I have to decompress as night. I look forward to the dark so that I can sleep and dream! Cover those windows!

I too love morning this time of year, it is relatively cool (we are talking Florida in June) and peaceful and the day is full of possibilities.

5. Fireflies! I’ve never seen them…but read about them so often. Maybe someday. It does seem completely opposite today to what we’ll be experiencing in December. The mornings are beautiful just now (when it’s not raining) – the bird life is riotous, like a city square on chirps and trills instead of honking and shouting.

6. Kelly says:

Woke up this morning to three new labrador puppies all warm and snuggly….wonderful start to the day!

7. daisyglitter says:

This is my favorite day of the year, circled in hearts on the calendar. 🙂 <3. Thanks for dedicating a post to it!