Staunton Spotlight | The Split Banana

I’ve lived here for a little over a year and I’m starting to really love it. You know, the kind of love where you just feel comfortable, you know your way around, and you don’t get lost at every other turn. Well, I’m finally getting to that point with Staunton. (And in case you visit and don’t want to sound like a total tourist, it’s pronounced without the “u”)

Growing up, we never moved. My parents still live in the same house that I grew up in so the only other town I’ve really had to learn was the town I went to college in. But as a freshmen in college, there are tons of people new to that town and you can all learn together.

All this to say, that Staunton is my new home and I feel like it’s a gem that I’m slowing discovering. There are so many things about this place that make you want to use words like, “quaint” and “charming”…the main street downtown, the shops, the lack of chain stores, and the restaurants that source locally!

This week I thought I’d share one of my favorite spots in Staunton. Not only does this give me an excuse to go to cool places in town, but it might also be helpful for any of you out-of-towners coming to Polyface this summer for a visit!

So without further adieu, I introduce to you…The Split Banana. If you have even the slightest sweet tooth, this place is for you! They serve amazing sorbet, gelato, ice cream and even banana splits…go figure! They have new flavors every month and they’re opened from 11-11 everyday.  AND all their milk and cream products come from a grass-fed dairy. This place is a MUST if you are anywhere near Staunton’s city limits!

So, do you have a favorite shop in your town? Or is anyone planning a trip to Polyface this summer that might stop by Split Banana now?!

Happy Monday!!

About Jill Powers

Jill Powers
JillPermalink

9 Responses to Staunton Spotlight | The Split Banana

1. Sandy says:

Sounds so nice, our town is all but shut down but the Feed and Seed is open :). Love it there!

2. nicole says:

we are coming to polyface in july for a tour and will have to stop by the split banana!

My favorite is not in our town but close, it is Otoole’s Organic Herb Farm in Madison https://www.facebook.com/pages/OTooles-Herb-Farm/153879226905.

I discovered it years ago when I owned a gift shop and small garden center, “B” Otoole was one of my main suppliers. From the green houses to the store and gardens the entire place is enchanting and fraught with hard to find treasures. Any time I need to recenter or treat myself I run away to Otoole’s for a little while.

4. Rachel says:

Oooh, my husband and I just discovered the Split Banana (we’ve been in Staunton 2 years) and love it. Great hours, great product. And what says summer more than people-watching downtown with a delicious ice cream in hand?

5. Jill says:

We SO enjoyed Staunton when my husband and I came there to celebrate our 10th anniversary (and visit Polyface!) last fall! Not sure how we missed out on The Split Banana…maybe next time! My favorite hometown place here where we are in Michigan is the White Horse Inn, in Metamora, MI. It’s the oldest running restaurant in the state (at least that’s what the menu claims!) It’s warm and cozy, the food is great, and they use local, seasonal products when possible. Good stuff:)

6. Mrs H says:

Well, I am glad you told me how to pronounce Staunton … saved me from embarrassing myself!!! My parents are still in the house they owned before I was born, too – so I can sympathize! My first experience moving was when my husband and I got married, and I went a whopping nine miles down the road to his house! … of course, now we have moved five times in just one year, thanks to the Navy … he he!!! Things do change.

I can’t wait to visit your town!!! And, of course, to snag some gelato.

7. Jen says:

I just spent a night in Staunton (pretty much by accident) but got sent to The Split Banana for dessert. Yummy!

8. daisyglitter says:

We’re coming from Michigan to visit for the lunatic tour in September!! Can’t wait and we’re bringing both of our parents with us…so when we announce to them that we want to quit city life and become farmers, they’ll understand why. 🙂 We are excited to get some good ice cream, too. Thanks for the heads up!

9. Pingback: Chipotle Mexican Grill: An Eating Pleasure | Polyface Hen House