Corporate Life & a Birthday Weekend

The other day, Buddy and I were driving on a back country road around sunset. The windows were down and the mountains were golden and shadowy…and I had a flashback. A flashback to when Buddy spent his summer at Polyface completing the internship and I would come and visit on the weekends. I’d leave my corporate job in the city and drive until I could see the mountains. The closer I got, the more at peace I would feel.

I still pinch myself that this is where I live now and I don’t have to go back to the “corporate life” once the weekend is over. Not that corporate life is a horrible thing–it’s just not for me and I was so jaded by it all!

It’s views like this that make me happy!…

On another note, it was Buddy’s birthday this weekend and we had a wonderful time celebrating with family and friends!

Happy Monday everyone!

How did you spend your weekend?!

About Jill Powers

Jill Powers
JillPermalink

8 Responses to Corporate Life & a Birthday Weekend

1. Sheri Salatin says:

Happy Birthday, Buddy!! 🙂

2. Yvonne Streeter says:

Do all you “chicks” have a blond requirement? And you’re all so lovely! I live in Texas, president (till next month) of an herb club, and our speaker at our meeting yesterday owns and runs “The Worm Ranch” here in Dallas, producing worm castings and “worm wine” for private and commercial sales. From her FB site, following links as is my bad habit, I found Polyface. Wish I lived closer to you all. [Look on Facebook for “Texas Worm Ranch” and you’ll find Heather’s business]

Happy Birthday, Buddy!

My weekend felt busier than the amount of finished product it produced 🙂 . I did get another chicken tractor built and pick up another batch of grow out chicks. I have a really cool relationship with a local heritage chicken breeder. Luanne breeds many really cool (mostly multipurpose) chicken breeds and she is very picky about what she keeps for breeding herself and sells to other breeders. This works out really well for me because she sells me everything she does not consider up to her standards for $1 a piece at 4-6 weeks old. I then grow them out for us and friends freezers.

4. Mrs H says:

Nothing better than being fully at peace with where you are 🙂 I am so glad you are living your dream!

5. Melissa says:

I left my job last May. I hate to say quit but I did. Now I get to be a farmer everyday. I love my life. I am so happy now. In my “other life” everyday was a chore. Now I spring out of bed. Even this morning when I was up half the night keeping guard on my turkeys from a fox and checking the two sows due to farrow. I enjoy my daughter more and love my husband even deeper. Not everyday is easy and some times the weather isn’t my friend and sometimes we have sad things happen, like the preemie heifer calf die at 3 weeks or the another fox killing 4 of my turkeys. But the blood, sweat and tears are worth it. I feel at peace. It sounds like all of you “chicks” have found peace as well. God Bless.

6. Tracy says:

I know that feeling of peace. When we go away and then come home, as soon as we are in our valley, that peaceful calm settles in my soul. I love it.
    Happy birthday to your Buddy too.

7. Tawanda says:

I know of the peace you speak as I was able to visit during one of Polyface hayride tour and lunch – it’s like another world! Happy and peaceful birthday to your Buddy.

8. audio design says:

It is really a good drive to spend the summer time by visiting mountains. It is very necessary to get relief from the stress of the corporate job.