Berry Pickin’

I think the boys may have eaten more than we picked. :)

Last week, I had the opportunity to go to a Pick-your-own berry farm with a friend. We picked lots and lots of blueberries and just a few red raspberries.

They are all bagged and in the freezer now. 🙂

I thought I would share pictures from our day!

What berries are in season in your neck of the woods right now?

Sheri, , Permalink

10 Responses to Berry Pickin’

1. Kelly says:

Wow! Good work…I love berries because you don’t really have to do anything to them in order to freeze!

2. In the cold PNW (I am just north of Seattle) there are just a few red strawberries BUT they need a couple of days of sun before they become sweet. Everything else is still a green promise. (Peas are at their peak!)

Yum! Great pictures of the “fruits” of your labor.

Before the flooding blackberries were in and Blueberries were finishing up. Picking blueberries is one of my favorite because with them being good sized bushes you are not bending or squatting. Gardening/farming yoga has done wonders for my flexibility but I am still a bit rough after a lot of bending over.

On the plus side as far as the flooding is concerned all that rain came a a good time for our grapes and our sand pears. They should be much larger than last year.

4. David & Tina says:

Those look great, Sheri! Freezing them is a good way to enjoy them all year.

Our Strawberries are mostly played out with the heat down here (GA) but the Blueberries, Blackberries (Triple Crown…it’s a great thornless, non-suckering variety that produces large, sweet berries bigger than your thumb!), Red Raspberries, Purple Rasberries, & Yellow Raspberries are all coming in now. They are all so delicious sometimes I’m not sure which my favorite is! Though they aren’t berries, our Seed-less Concord Grapes are just starting to ripen, too.

I’m glad God created so many varieties of berries and delicious fruit for us to enjoy.
    It sure is a blessing to have such an abundance!

5. We’re in strawberry season around here (Vancouver Island), although the damp weather is making it challenging, since the berries are going mushy almost as soon as they are picked. We also had the first blueberries at the market last week, but that’s pretty early for around here. I don’t have time to u-pick this year, so I’ve arranged to buy a flat of strawberries to make jam. I actually get a discount doing this, so it would cost the same as picking myself at that farm.

6. Dewberries are in season now. Black raspberries will be ready in a few weeks…or would be if it would just rain.

Fun thing about dewberries is the free poison ivy you get while picking them.

7. daisyglitter says:

I have a huge blob of a raspberry bush in my backyard and I love raspberries more than anything, but – the birds have eaten every single one. We haven’t gotten any. I thought I could make a scarecrow or something but I don’t know if that works for robins and sparrows. So sad!! Ideas?

• Leilani says:

I would try a scarecrow or maybe some tin pie pans that will clank around. Another option might be netting over it , large enough the pollinators can get in but too small for the birds to feast.

8. Jill says:

Up here in Michigan strawberries are all done…it was a really good year for them though! Picked 3 flats of them with sons (ages 9, 7, 4, and 2), who turn out to be berry-picking machines:) Sort of in between berry seasons–raspberries are almost ready. I planted a row of them last year and they’re really taking off, but the birds are getting most of the berries! We also have lots of wild blackberries around here. Tasty but lots of seeds! Blueberry season doesn’t happen until the end of July-early August here, but I can’t wait for that! There’s a really nice u-pick blueberry farm nearby.

9. J cowan says:

we went to our neighbors u pick berries .our kids ate more then they picked but it beat having them watch T.V on a beautiful day and oh the conversations we had as a family and the other people picking also