Beets!

The garden has been doing very well the last couple of weeks.  Since all the interns have arrived and Brie, our fabulous cook, has  been doing the evening meals, I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the vegetables that I grow served on the table.  Right now I am harvesting a lot of beets.  I planted more then I realized, like I did with the lettuce, but at least with the beets I can store them for a while.

What is your favorite way to prepare beets?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

13 Responses to Beets!

1. ken anastasi says:

just completed canning 30 pints of beets. i use a water, sugar, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon sticks and clove syrup. the vinegar brings up the acid level so i can warm bath the jars. works great! we get lots of nice complements.

2. Lyndsey says:

I love beets, but for some reason they don’t grow well for me :(. I’ve been boiling beets in water, salt, and mixed pickling spices. I then use the boiling liquid to make a brine for corned venison. We love it, so it doesn’t last long at our house. The hot pink beet liquid I use for color because I don’t use pink salt. I’ve been using the beets in a cold salad of mint, chives, feta, & a homemade vinaigrette.

3. Grace says:

And they’re delicious! We had a few in our salad yesterday. Yummy! Thanks again green thumb gal.

4. Casie says:

I love to roast my beets! A little olive oil and garlic and they are delicious!! Add in a few other root veggies and it’s a roasted root veg medley!!

5. Lucy says:

I like to slice the beets really thin with a mandolin, coat them in olive oil and salt and pepper, and bake them into beat chips! Meanwhile, I saute the greens with garlic and olive oil and a splash of lemon juice. Delish!

6. MJ says:

cut in chunks then roasted either on a grill or in the oven (serve hot or cold, with goat cheese!) haven’t yet tried beet chips (thin slices baked), but want to

7. Brie Aronson says:

Beauty beets! I love cooking your vegetables!

I didn’t grow up eating beets so they are a new adventure for me. I would love to hear about everyones recipes.

9. ken anastasi says: