Whistle While You Work

Let me start off by saying I can’t actually whistle. Never have been able.

But I do think it’s important to have a little song in your heart while you work!

This past weekend I took care of my friends’ farm while they were out of town, and noticed that I had certain songs I’d sing during different tasks. When I was gathering eggs, it was I love you, a bushel and a peck…. When I was coming through the fields on the four-wheeler in the early morning, I would often break into Bob Marley songs or various selections from Fiddler on the Roof…. And yes, I admit I did sing a few bars of the Hallelujah Chorus once I’d finished moving the last broiler pen.

Apart from almost swallowing a mosquito while driving downhill (during my own rendition of Signed, Sealed, Delivered), the tunes put a little spring in my step and kept me in a cheery mood throughout chores. I’ve also noticed that singing comes in handy during the dry season when snakes start to wander out in the open – a good way to announce your presence to any slithering passersby.

What do you sing while you work?

About Brie Aronson

Brie Aronson came to Polyface from southern California. During college, she was diagnosed with food allergies and had to begin asking about the source of every single thing she put in her mouth. This led to an interest in all things food and she sought out a way to learn how it can be produced ethically and sustainably. Her desire is to help people shift their focus from counting calories, being intimidated by their kitchens, and being disconnected from the land to one that experiences the life-giving enjoyment of food. Having completed the internship in summer 2010, she now assists with the buying clubs and sales building, leads school tours of the farm, and will be the summer 2012 farm cook.
BriePermalink

16 Responses to Whistle While You Work

1. Travis says:

Bob Marley and jack Johnson 🙂

2. Mellisa says:

I usually end up singing the songs my daughter learns at preschool, like one called ‘The Ant, The Bug, and the Bee’. Or if I remember to bring the radio outside, whatever is on . . . I agree, singing helps to keep me moving and make the job more fun!

3. ken anastasi says:

“We would never learn to be brave and patient if there was only joy in the world.”

Sing on! (smile)

4. Chara says:

I usually end up singing old hymns- Blessed Assurance, Be Thou My Vision, Washed in the Blood, I’ll Fly Away and Sweet Hour of Prayer are my current favorites, as a bonus they have lots of verses for the long jobs. 🙂

• Sonya says:

I don’t always sing, but I often have songs running through my head or find myself humming something as I work….
      I don’t wanna work, I just want to bang (on the drum all day) by Todd Rundgren
      Workin in a Coal Mine by Devo
      That’s Life and Fly Me to the Moon by Frank Sinatra
      Big Rock Candy Mountain by Harry McClintock (it’s where “they hung the jerk that invented work!”)
      3 Little Birds (and most anything) by Bob Marley
      Apeman by the Kinks
      My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music
      Four Leaf Clover by Ella Fitzgerald
      One Piece at a Time by Johnny Cash
      A Horse with No Name by America….. la laaa laa la la la la

I have a confession to make….. I have become an I-Phone addict……. Seriously, music and audiobooks make weeding and other chores go so much faster especially audiobooks since I really have no time to sit and read a book other than in bed in the evening and then I am falling asleep reading anyway. I phone in back pocket, earbuds in ears and I am a cleaning, weeding, mowing fool 🙂

P.S. This is how I read Joel’s last book…. err… listened to Joel’s last book 🙂

Forgot to pull that little post back to topic…… I am known
    to sing along to whatever is playing ……..

7. Dawn says:

most recently it’s been “Hakuna Matata” (we just watched Lion King 1 1/12 recently), but often, it’s “Morning Has Broken”, or “Let it Be”, “One Tin Soldier”, or various maritime/celtic type songs – think Stan Rogers, Rankin Family type stuff. Also, I CAN and do whistle – a lot – though not in the Roger Whittaker class of whistling 🙂

8. The book Laddie makes a point of how often the family members would whistle and sing while they worked on the farm. Totally worth reading, BTW.

It’s surprising how often hymns get stuck in a loop in my head. I know at least a few dozen hymns by heart but only ever sing them on Sunday mornings. I’ve probably heard every Led Zeppelin song a few hundred times but they don’t seem to fit when I’m working…unless I’m trying to set a pace and need a rythm to work to. When I ran long distance I would pace myself with “Happy Together”. Is that weird? How about this? I mix up songs while I work. Sometimes I try to think of praise songs in the same key and time as hymns so the transition between them is smooth. Far worse than that, most recently I mixed the verse music of “Louie, Louie” with the lyrics of “Fresh Prince of Bel Air”. Yeah. Ok. That last one is weird. But it kept me going till the chores were finished.

9. Mrs H says:

If I can’t whistle … does that mean I don’t need to work? Hehe!! I love to sing while I work, it makes the time go by more quickly! Confession time … I usually end up singing Christmas music, because it’s just so much fun!!

10. Jessica says:

Love to sing while I work….just that no one would want to listen! I love to sing hymns and whatever is currently stuck in my head.

11. When I go downstairs in winter to stoke our woodburning furnace, the song is “Put Another Log On the Fire.” (Cook me up some bacon and some beans . . .)
    When I go down to feed in winter when it’s snowy, it’s “Let It Snow” (with a few expletives under my breath) or, if it’s cold enough, Pink Floyd’s Comfortably Numb.
    When I go to feed when it’s raining, it’s “Feeding in the Rain, just feeding in the rain! What a joy it must be, I’m soggy again!”
    On a normal day, feeding the chickens is “Pick a little talk a little cheep cheep cheep talk a lot pick a little more” from Oklahoma
    Sometimes I hum the Anvil Chorus when I fork hay.
    And, well, when you pick apples, you simply MUST sing the Andrews Sisters’ “Don’t Sit Under The Apple Tree”!

12. audio design says:

Your post is very interesting to read…thanks for sharing…