Rainy Days equal Different Days

Do you know that I love best about farm life? Aside from the great food in abundance and the lifestyle, I love rainy days.

On Monday and Tuesday of this week, it poured rain. There was still work to be done, of course, but it was different kind of work. We ended up catching up on desk work and emails. A quick visit to town.

Isn’t there a saying that goes, “A change is almost as good as a break.”?

I’m definitely not saying that I would want it to rain every day, in fact quite the opposite. I must admit that I’m a solar-powered farm chick. I don’t operate too well unless I have some sunshine. However, when it does rain, I count my blessings and embrace the “different” work.

How about you? Are there days that are different or cause you to change your plans?

SheriPermalink

9 Responses to Rainy Days equal Different Days

1. Yes, rainy days are usually a much needed change/break! Especially here in Central Texas where we are still suffering in drought, but we are getting wonderful rain this spring.

I’m also having “overly pregnant” days right now! 🙂 I don’t always feel up to bending over the rows in the garden. But I can sit out there and up date my garden journal and really pay attention to the whole health of the place instead of focusing in on the manual labor.

2. Jane says:

Sheri, I also love those “once in a while” rainy days. I work out of the home Monday to Friday… so weekends are normally busy. But I so love it when on a Saturday morning I wake up to rain… that full hard rain. I stay in my pj’s and do paperwork, drink coffee and catch up on my reading and favorite movies. As with you I would not want it every Saturday, but I do enjoy it when it comes.
    Thanks for making me want to maybe look for a rain cloud tomorrow.

3. Annie says:

I have a stack of sewing and a storage room to clean out on our next rainy day! I love having that separate list when the weather changes.

4. Grace says:

Oh how yummy that rainy Monday was. I caught up on so many things and had a long delicious nap. Great way to start a busy week. Loved it!

5. I’m curious, maybe you can ask Joel about this. Do you ever notice a marked difference in plant growth with rain from Thunderstorms than the usual showery uneventful rain ? I’ve studied this for years and some of the companies I have worked with create devices to replicate the water’s molecular structure to something similar to what the grounded electrolysis does for lightning storm rain drops.

Notice this next time you have storms. Notice that regular rain has a pinging sound when it hits your roof. However rain from Thunderstorms should have a dull flat splatting sound when it hit’s the roof. Water molecules from Thunderstorms are more loosely bonded and the clusters tinier than other water droplets. Joel will know what the terms wetter water and wetting agents mean. Conventional Farmers using science based technologies use chemicals to break the electrical bonding of heavily clustered water molecules, however the negative electrical charge from the ground into the atmosphere in an electrical storm will accomplish the same thing. Water molecules more loosely bonded will soak into the soil easier and the elements disolve better for the microbes and other soil biota to consume and give them back to plants. The plants themselves find it easier to hydrate themselves quicker.

Aside from that, I love the sound of rain hitting on a corrugated tin roof and the fragrance of various plant isoprenes permeating the air all at once giving me a natural high. *smile*

I am jealous, we need rain so badly here, we have been under drought conditions for quite some time. Aside from the obvious need for water I long for rainy days so I can catch up on inside work. It is really hard to stay inside and clean the house when it is beautiful outside and there is always planting and picking to do, cages to build, chipping etc. The only thing that drives me indoors this time of year is canning and this early that comes in small batches. I have been up to my ears in Blueberries this week though, our closest neighbor has several acres of blueberries and I have been trying to pick first thing every morning and put up each mornings bounty differently, pie filling Friday, Jam yesterday… and so on.

• Mrs H says:

You are jealous of the rain … and I am jealous of your blueberries – – !! I don’t have access to berries this year, and I am sadly missing them!

7. Mrs H says:

I do agree with that statement about a change being almost as good as a break 🙂 Just some refreshing new scenery can re-energize one! Sometimes I like it when a plan is cancelled and I end up with extra time to plow through a project at home and get some random things off that vague, unwritten to-do list that always floats about …

8. kelli says:

Ahh, the sheer SMELL of the rain is what makes me appreciate our Heavenly Father’s showers!!! The life that it brings forth. The cleanliness in the air and the water levels that rise in lakes and streams is such a blessing. Thanks for sharing about one of life’s simplest, yet essential things. Rain. 🙂