Mother’s Day and Pie

Good morning everyone, and a very happy mother’s day to all the moms.  This is my first mother’s day with my baby on the outside and I can not even begin to say how blessed I am to be a mother.  Yes, it has it’s dilemmas, but it has so many joys!

On another note, I made pie this week for the first time since Ralph was born, 🙂  It was so yummy that I thought I’d share the recipe, a perfect blend of flavors for a perfect time of year. Enjoy!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Crust-3 cups flour, (all-purpose or pastry), 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup shortening, 1 egg, (lightly beaten), 1/2 cold water

Combine the flour and salt.  Cut in the shortening until the mixture is mealy.  Add the beaten egg and 1/4 cup of water.  Gradually add remaining water, if necessary, to make a soft pastry.  Chill well before using.

Filling– 5 cups of fruit, (half strawberries, half rhubarb, chunks), 1 cup sugar, (I used sucanant), 2 tablespoons flour, dash of nutmeg

Mix together, place in prepared pie shell and cover with top crust.  Bake @ 400 degrees F. for about 50 minutes.

What is your favorite kind of pie?

About Erin Phelan

Born and raised in western Michigan, Erin came to Polyface first as an intern in the summer of 2009. While here she met and got to know Grady Phelan, an apprentice at the time. The next spring they were married and after a couple years in Oklahoma they are back, working as sub-contractors for Polyface. Erin keeps herself busy with the jobs of a wife and mother, as well as helping with the animals, gardening, sewing, cooking, baking, knitting and reading.
ErinPermalink

15 Responses to Mother’s Day and Pie

1. Sherral says:

Yum! I love Strawberry rhubarb pie! My current pie obsession however is cherry+crushed pineapple- seriously, so good!

2. Mrs H says:

Scrumptious – this IS one of my favorite pies! I am saving your nice, concise recipe!

3. Dawn says:

Gotta say, strawberry rhubarb is definitely one of the best pies going, but I think my favourite might be a really well made, thick, classic apple pie – no ice cream. I know the rest of my family would say home made pumpkin pie is the best.

4. oooh, I can just taste it! I just bought more strawberries to plant, now I have to wait for the rhubarb to mature a little bit! I think my favorite pie is cherry . . .my hubby just found a volunteer cherry tree growing on our land. YAY! PIE! Congrats on your beautiful baby. Enjoy the journey–mine are 4 and 6, and we still learn together every day 🙂

5. Actually my favorite pie is coconut cream but for a fresh fruit pie, I’m partial to raspberry pie. Actually raspberry everything. I’m a new comer to rhubarb having hated it from the time I was little. But in the past couple of years I have found some good recipes and have come to like it. My kids love homemade strawberry-rhubarb jam so I will try your pie and we’ll see what the verdict is.

6. audio design says:

Mother’s Day is very special day for everyone. and I also like and celebrate this day with my mother…

7. Melissa says:

I like a mixed berry pie. Blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and a few apples mixed with flour, sugar and butter. Baked in a homemade pastry. I just throw in a bunch of frozen berries. My whole family goes nuts for this. It is my nephew Tylers favorite dessert. He always asks me to make it.

• Sherral says:

My son is always asking for an everything pie, and this sounds like it might be it, lol! Adding it to my “make” list!

8. Grace Hernandez says:

What a gorgeous baby!

Key Lime is my favorite pie. That said I have really found a pie not worth eating 🙂

10. Rebekah says:

Strawberry rhubarb is one of my all-time favorites as well. My grandma made the best pies! I also love peanut butter chocolate pie, pecan pie, mixed berry pie, apple pie, oh……..just about anything but mincemeat. 🙂

11. Jonelle Rosin says:

There are only two kinds of pie I like… hot and cold!