Honey, Lime and Spring!

I love Spring! It’s my favorite season. The transition from dark, cold winter to bright, warm summer. For a gardener its a fledgling time when only the quick growing plants are being harvested.

As a farmer it’s a busy season, every thing that had to wait to be done until warm weather arrived now needs to be done yesterday.

“Hurry, hurry, hurry. The summer season is almost upon us.”

Leanna mentioned yesterday about the crazy amounts of lettuce coming out of the garden. It’s true. 🙂 We’re loving it and digging deep for creative ways of eating more lettuce.

So, today, I decided to share one of my favorite Spring salads. I made this several years ago for our chef appreciation day and it was a big success (or perhaps these world-class food experts were only being kind). Regardless, I liked it and perhaps you will too.

The key ingredient is the Honey-Lime Dressing.

• 5 cups torn spinach (or lettuce)
  • 3/4 cups sliced strawberries
  • 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

Toss these into a salad bowl. Then prepare the dressing to mix in:

• 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/2 tsp finely shredded lime peel
  • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup salad oil (your choice)

In a small bowl, combine honey, lime peel, lime juice and nutmeg. Beating with an electric mixer on medium speed, add oil to honey mixture in a thin, steady stream. Continue beating till mixture is thick. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

Makes about 1 1/3 cups.

This is one recipe that I look forward to every spring. The lettuce is in, the mushrooms are in, and I’m waiting on the strawberries. Actually I think I may have noticed a bit of red peeking from under the green yesterday.

I think I’ll go check. 🙂

How about you? What is your favorite season and what do you love most about it?

SheriPermalink

11 Responses to Honey, Lime and Spring!

1. Tonia says:

I will have to try that recipe!! I LOVE Spring! It reminds me I have survived yet another cold dark winter.. Not that last winter was particularly harsh.. But the lack of sunlight gets to me.. And being stuck inside.. So when spring gets here I am all about celebrating!lol

2. Mrs H says:

Yum … thank you for posting … so many of my favorite foods together in this salad. Our CSA has a little berry patch and my sister and I picked a few pounds the other day … we could hardly keep ourselves from eating them all before dinner!

3. “every thing that had to wait to be done until warm weather arrived now needs to be done yesterday.”

Gosh. There is no end to the chore list. I’m behind on the things I’m behind on. And my son needs me to take him fishing. I’ll have to take a break from the baler tonight.

I miss winter. I want to put my feet up and dive into a pile of books with a mug of hot maple sap in my hand. Of course, when winter gets here I’ll be ready for spring/summer. Fall is pretty reliable though. The last batch of chickens, turkeys and hogs are headed to the freezer. We’ll have apple cider, applesauce, pumpkin pie, warming fires and beautiful colors. I’ll stick with fall as my final answer…at least until fall.

4. Dawn says:

I think Fall is my favourite too. The temperatures are nice, I love the look of my pantry in late October. I have a sense of “what’s done is done” about the year – too late to try and fit something in – it’s going on next year’s list. Harvest feast – we have a local one for 300 people, cooked by local caterers/chefs/bakeries with local (within 100km) food, served up in the ag hall at the fair grounds – let me just say 13 kinds of pie – my husband looks forward to it all year. Things are busy with back to school and putting things away after the summer, but not the frantic, wow-I’ll never get through it all feeling you get in Spring. But truthfully, I appreciate all the seasons, and I’m grateful I live where I can experience seasonality with it’s ups and downs, speeding up and slowing down, hot and cold.

5. daisyglitter says:

Summer, summer and summer. I love the warm weather and I wait all year for it to come! Swimming outside, the sun setting so late and popping up so early, watering the garden in the morning, NO SCHOOL (hooray!), eating outside, running outside, being outside. Laying on my driveway absorbing heat in the afternoon and then looking at the few stars I can see in the evening (with all the sad light pollution blocking out really great views). Grass-fed burgers over a wood-burning grill, raspberries, cherries, peaches, nectarines, farmers markets, pineapple, cucumbers, basil and TOMATOES. Summer is like a fruit and veggie blowout fest around here. It is the shortest season by far around here but wonderful in every way!

6. Tasha says:

I LOVE Spring!!!! I love all the new growth in the spring months. My favorite part about gardening is going out every morning to see what has come alive overnight. I am like a little kid…..it never gets old to me.
    We have been enjoying lots of lettuce from our gardens as well. But here in Texas it is just about getting too hot for these tender greens.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sounds amazing and perfect for something different on salad.

I enjoy the changes each season brings (what changes there are here in Florida) but spring and Fall are my favorites. Spring for the birth and possibility it holds and Fall for the break from the summer heat and the feelings of wander lust it always brings for me. If I ever were to run away from home it would be in the fall.

Leilani

8. I used to be a total summer person. Now that we’re here on the farm (with no A/C!), I’ve learned that I love all seasons equally.
    Walking to the barn to feed on a frigid winter night–you hold your breath so the vapor doesn’t get in the way as you pause to gaze at the crystalline silence of the stars above. (Wearing insulated coveralls helps in winter appreciation!) Building the fire to keep your family warm (after getting everyone involved in bringing in the wood) is such a deeply satisfying thing. You carry unfrozen water to your chickens 5 times a day, but you don’t mind. The snow piles up around you, but you know you can get to the barn and coops. Your horses snort warm steamy breaths in your ears. You’re also starting seeds under grow lights to get ready for spring.
    Warming up, more sunshine, smelling the various blooms, and planting your first stage in the garden is spring. Dancing in the first unfrozen rain is right up there too. Then comes the frenzy of more spring planting (you just KNOW you don’t have enough tomatoes planted!) Then there are the chickens–they’re waking up too. Your layers are coming back online, your meat birds are just about ready for slaughter day. You glory in the bounty, the warmth. At last, you can go outside without 5 layers of clothing . . .and your kids suddenly rediscover their bicycles. You feel the earth waking up around you and you can just about hear the asparagus grow. You eat quite a lot of it before it ever makes it to the house. It’s GREEN.
    Summer is a time to really reconnect and steward–checking water for your plants and animals almost constantly . . .but still taking time out with the kids to go fishing on a lazy afternoon. The only fights are over who gets to bring you the next nightcrawler or who gets to put the fish in the cooler. You can step down to the gardens and pluck the biggest, ripest tomato and eat it right there, dust and all. As you do every year, you marvel at how incredibly delicious it is as the juice runs down your chin and your kids clamor for a bite too. You think you should have probably planted more. You eat lots of salads because they keep you cool. You LOVE the fact that your kids love them too.
    By fall, the coolness is welcome. You’re making jams and jellies. You’re canning up the last bits from summer. For a fleeting second you think about too many tomatoes . . .but instantly dismiss the idea out of hand. Your larder is full. Your freezer is full. The woodpile is seasoned and ready for winter. As the leaves turn colors and fall around you, you not only glory in their beauty, but gather them for your chicken coop. Double beauty. It’s time to clean out the gardens so the chickens can till them for spring. Your compost piles double in size, but all the produce is in your kitchen or larder. It’s time to sit back and say aaaaaah.
    Each season has its comfort. Each season is needed. I love them all!

9. audio design says:

Honey, Lime and Spring are closely associated with one another but among the three spring is very attractive…

10. Rebekah says:

That salad dressing sounds really good! I’d probably leave the mushrooms out of the salad and add candied pecans, though. 🙂

I love spring – but since allergies put such a damper on things, I’m beginning to favor fall. If only there wasn’t Halloween…..

11. Sarah Van Leeuwen says:

Finally tried that dressing today. That’s a keeper!!