Garden Harvest

I will be the first to admit that I am not really sure what I am doing with the garden here at Polyface, besides the main goal of just growing a lot of food.   There is still so much about gardening that I don’t know.   This past week showed some weak spots that I need to work on in the future.  When I plant, most of the time I just kind of guess at how much I think that I need.   A row of onions here, peas along the side, carrots in a bed to themselves, and then… I planted a 40′ x 42″ bed of lettuce, plus some.  The lettuce is where I made my mistake.  Okay, maybe not really a mistake, but I found out on Tuesday just how much I really planted. Because when it was all picked it was a whopping 23 pounds!  Some of it was sold to restaurants but there is still quite a bit left.

23 Pounds of Lettuce!

Needless to say, people here on the farm are eating a lot of lettuce these days. 🙂

What is your favorite way to eat lettuce and greens?  I would love any recipes!

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

19 Responses to Garden Harvest

1. Jen says:

Leanna – I wanted to thank you for the delicious lettuce you planted. We bought a LARGE bag this week and enjoyed some just yesterday. I used it to make a great salad with chopped apples, walnuts, feta, Polyface chicken, and a simple homemade red wine vinaigrette. Yum!

2. Lyndsey says:

We’ve given up wheat, so anything that would have gone on a bun or over spaghetti, etc., goes on a big bed of greens.

3. Glenda Spencer says:

I have a large coldframe and grow lettuce and greens all winter into late spring and use greens and onions in omelets ,soup and anyplace else I can put them.

• Leanna Hale says:

Greens are so good and versatile! That is awesome that you have a cold frame!

4. Mrs H says:

THAT is a lot of lettuce … well, you certainly can’t can it – yech!! I love, love LOVE a layered, overnight salad (http://dotalanecdotes.blogspot.com/2012/05/dinner-for-hot-day-cold-overnight-salad.html). This is a meal I could probably stand to eat just about every day!!

5. Barbara says:

Leanna, not to plant more lettuces than you can consume or share is a challenge for me, also. The lettuces grow here in North Texas from fall through spring, unless we have a REALLY bad winter. Since not many fresh, garden vegetables are available in cold weather, one can become overly-enthusiastic when planting. After a few months of salads every other day though, one begins to hope for a rabbit invasion 😉

• Leanna Hale says:

I know what you mean, I might get to the point where I hope for a rabbit invasion…

6. Melissa says:

Wish I had some of your lettuce. Here in Northern NY I am just planting mine! But I am having second thoughts on how much I will plant. LOL!

• Leanna Hale says:

Well, this isn’t the first time that I have over planted something. I just haven’t done it to this extreme before. 🙂

7. Annie says:

I could eat greens with my grandma’s 3-2-1 dressing every day of the week and twice on Sunday!
    3 Tbsp vinegar
    2 cups heavy cream (or sour cream if you want it thicker)
    1 Tbsp sugar

That’s it! I like to throw in some fresh dill and grate a radish or two, maybe some chives… 🙂

8. I’m *green* with envy! I had some great lettuce growing . . .then one morning I got up and worms had eaten ALL of it! Guess I’ll try again!

9. audio design says:

Very good article about garden harvest… so much useful things it has…Thanks for the post…

ooohh… Going to have to try that 3,2,1 dressing!

I have the opposite problem. I can’t grow enough lettuce for our needs and the giant tortoise we have I just can’t keep up. I make up the difference with greens to a point. We are in Florida so by this time of year its getting too hot for most lettuces. I am experimenting with some raised beds under out Pecan trees.

11. audio design says:

The lettuces grow here in North Texas from fall through spring, unless we have a REALLY bad December. Since not many fresh, garden vegetables are available in cold weather, one can become overly-enthusiastic when planting….