First Wild Fruits of the Season

Although I wanted to, I did not plant any asparagus in my garden this year, because several people told me that it grew wild along the roads near our house.  Now, being from a part of Michigan where there are quite a few large farms that grow asparagus, it never crossed my mind that it would grow wild, but it does and is just as delightful as if it were from my own garden.  Actually, I think it is more so because all I have to do is go hunting for and pluck it from the obliging ditches 🙂  Here are some pictures of our first find.

Do you grow or hunt for asparagus, any helpful hints for beginners?

About Erin Phelan

Born and raised in western Michigan, Erin came to Polyface first as an intern in the summer of 2009. While here she met and got to know Grady Phelan, an apprentice at the time. The next spring they were married and after a couple years in Oklahoma they are back, working as sub-contractors for Polyface. Erin keeps herself busy with the jobs of a wife and mother, as well as helping with the animals, gardening, sewing, cooking, baking, knitting and reading.
ErinPermalink

12 Responses to First Wild Fruits of the Season

1. Carrie says:

WOW!! I wish we could get asparagus on the side of the road here, in Southern California. That would be a cool adventure.

2. Tonia says:

Oh wow that’s neat!. I don’t think it grows here in Missouri that I know of anyway..

3. Ted Mendenhall says:

Thanks for all the ideas for breakfast. Really enjoy the videos.

4. Loretta Sheets says:

Check with “grandma” Salatin. She has a wonderful asparagus casserole recipe that we ALL have loved for many years. I also found one recently where you wrap a couple of spears in bacon or thin tenderloin strips, spear with toothpick, and grill or broil. Then you serve it with a BBQ kind of glaze with sauce, honey, etc. It was delicious!

5. Mike Hopkins says:

Hello Erin:

I once lived in a rural area in Northern Illinois while going to University. I rented a room in a big house and one of the owners would pick wild asparagas in his well kept secret places. I tried to get the locations from him, but he was a stubborn old man. Anyhow, he shared his pickings with me and it was so good to eat. Your blog entry brought back that memory.

I now live in Sweden and pick berries and mushrooms in the forest and there are some who have their secret picking places also here in the old country.

Take care,
    Mike

6. Mrs H says:

Delicious!!! I am so hungry for some fresh asparagus. I did not know it grew wild out here – I wish I could find some!!!

7. daisyglitter says:

I’m in Michigan and I’ve never seen it growing wild…I doubt the farmers who are growing it would like me hopping their fences to pick it, but I think that would be my only chance of seeing it up close in its natural habitat. 🙂

8. wow, I wish it would grow wild here! Still, we have a pretty good plot going. Plenty of manure and MORE NEW CROWNS!! Can’t wait to see what it’ll do next year!

9. audio design says:

Wow… so beautiful and tasty fruit of the season…thanks for sharing it…

10. audio design says:

I wish it would grow wild here! Still, we have a rather good plot going. Large number of manure and MORE NEW CROWNS!! Can’t wait to see what it’ll do next year!

I started an asparagus bed this year. Florida does not have the best growing conditions for this beloved veggie but it seems to be doing well so far.

12. Betsy says:

Not to rain on your parade; but how close to the road, and how much traffic do these roads get? I would worry about gas and diesel exhaust fragments settling on the plants. or being washed off the road and being taken up by the roots. Most of my ‘foraging’ books advise picking plants 30-100 yards from roadways, depending on traffic density. Just a word of caution. Betsy
    P love the blog; very inspiring.