Defining Success

“I missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty six times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed.I failed over and over and over  in my life, and that is why I succeed.” (Michael Jordan)

Things are moving right along at Buxton. The weather is heating up and projects are coming into manifestations. At the same-time  we’re getting some swift lessons in managing a  farm. The kind that make you wonder? Life is like that.We have days when we feel invincible. The cows move in sync, the rain is attuned to our work schedule, every new recipe taste divine, animals are healthy and undisturbed and you’re sleeping like a baby. Everything is flowing downstream.  I love those days.

Alec doing set up to move the herd

On the flip side predators attack and consume your beloved young ones , the carrots don’t come up in the garden, you get a few bee stings tending to your hive, cows get out, and you don’t get enough sleep in anticipation all night of how to turn it all around.

Lead cow, Tonya, her morning photo shoot

During our hiatus I spent several months researching ways to rewire the brain ( the amygdala) when I found this little piece of wisdom from a Michael Jordan commercial.  It’s our medicine of the week. Maybe some of you can relate.  It helps shift our perspective, for sure. In then end things always have a way of working out.

About Grace

Grace and her husband Michael manage Buxton a Polyface satellite farm. Her first passion is to align with radiant health. She knows intimately that when you have your health you can do anything. Next, her passion for vibrant healthy food and beautiful landscapes along with her interest in permaculture influenced Grace's decision to align with the Polyface farming model. With 20 years of experience in the healing arts, she feels growing food and pasture raising animals is one of the greatest healers and a true source of personal empowerment. It's been said, "if you're not living on the edge your taking up too much space." Grace lives joyfully on the "leading edge" surrounded by the breathtaking beauty of the appalachian mountains where her and Michael steward 1000 acres with profound appreciation."
UntaggedPermalink

11 Responses to Defining Success

1. Ben Falloon says:

Great quote, lead cow, herd and perspective Grace!

2. Kathryn Hope says:

I can relate.

Two rounds of damp off before figuring out the potting soil was the culprit. After finally making a decision on who and how to sell and market our eggs, young roosters mature and wreak havoc on our hens’ laying cycle. Finally our goats have vastly improved their jumping skills, and they spent most of April showing off.

What makes me feel invincible? Veggies all in and only 7 days late. The creation of Rooster Town, the hens love this too. Goats are smart, and have realized life is better on the pasture then in the barn.

3. Thank you for sharing, Grace!

4. I needed that. A lot. Sometimes nothing goes the way I think it should. Sometimes we just squeak by. But I know I’m where I’m supposed to be, doing what I’m supposed to do. I’m just not great at it yet.

5. Brie says:

Love your posts so much – they are always exactly what I need to hear. Thank you.

Thank you Grace! The MJ quote does wonders for adding a little perspective. I figure as long as we are still fighting the good fight and trying, we are succeeding. Some days we just need a little reminding.

7. Mrs H says:

There are days when I feel like Little Miss Efficiency … and days when I feel like gazing at the ceiling fan!!!

8. Dawn says:

Being Canadian, I would have to give you the same advice in Canadian terms, quoting from Wayne Gretzky, the great 99 of NHL fame…”you miss a hundred percent of the shots you don’t take”.

9. tracy says:

I know there are things that are difficult to accomplish but the only real failure in my mind is in not giving it a go.

10. “Never, never, never give up.” – Winston Churchill

Thought maybe it was appropriate for this conversation. 🙂