Confessions

Okay, I have to confess that my garden is getting a little weedy despite my best intentions.

Corn growing in the weeds :)

But with the weeds growing so quickly I have come across a new favorite tool to do battle with the weeds.  Let me introduce my stirrup hoe!

I still hand weed right next to the plants, but then I pull out the hoe.  It is so quick and effective, you just have to make sure that it is sharp! 🙂

Do you have a favorite gardening tool?

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

13 Responses to Confessions

1. Hey, aren’t those Lamb’s Quarters ? Aren’t they edible ? You’re not following Joel’s holistic recipe for Salad Bar Folks!!!

*smile*

2. ken anastasi says:

i have never seen a sturrup hoe.
    thanks for the tip!

3. Melissa says:

I have never seen a stirrup hoe. I will have to look for one for my garden. My favorite tool is my claw. It is about 14″ long and has a hoe like 3″ side and the same size claw on the other. I love to get down on my hands and knees and just dig the weeds as I go. My Mother keeps asking me how I will do this when I get older. Maybe the stirrup hoe is the anwser!

• Stirrup hoes have been around for ages. They basically are easy to use because they merely slice thru the soil cutting weed tap roots and there is very little resistance as you can see by the design.

4. Mrs H says:

Wow! I have never heard of a stirrup hoe but I want one now … only thing is I should probably get a garden, first 😉 Since we’ve had to live in apartments for the last 2 years as we move about with the Navy, my favorite gardening tools have been a pair of scissors and a little hand trowel! And of course, everlasting twine, and sticks scavenged from everywhere.

5. Caitlyn M. says:

I love my stirrup hoe! 🙂 Don’t know what I would ever do without it!

6. David & Tina says:

Check out this link for the same kind of hoe just on wheels!!! There are several useful attachments but if you scroll down the page a bit you’ll see the Oscillating or Stirrup Hoe.

We’ve been using ours now for a couple years and just love them! People have been using wheeled hoes for a long, long time…..they are very easy to use and you can work faster (cover more ground) than a hoe without a wheel while enjoying peacefully silence and fresh air. No noisy tillers that tear up and dry out the wonderful garden soil.

7. Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It if truth be told used to be a amusement account it. Look complicated to more introduced agreeable from you! However, how could we keep in touch?

8. Renee says:

My husband got me one for my birthday and it has made things so much easier! I also still hand weed amongst the plants but it’s great for paths and bigger spaces.

9. daisyglitter says:

I went out yesterday and got one. Thank you for recommending it, I never had heard of one before (or maybe I’ve seen one but just didn’t know what it was used for). It is so easy to weed now!

10. audio design says:

Since we’ve had to live in apartments for the last some years as we move about with the Navy, my favorite gardening tools have been a pair of scissors and a little hand trowel! And of course, everlasting twine, and sticks scavenged from everywhere.

My favorite gardening tool is a pair of gloves that fit really well, with just enough leather in the palm section to protect but still have good dexterity. Good gloves make hand weeding so much more pleasant.

12. Cindy says:

OMG!!!!! Is that what it is called. My grandfather recently passed away…I grew up following him around his garden and now have a garden of my own. Over the years his health grew worse and my time in his garden grew until his garden became my garden. Now I’m in another city but my garden remains his garden because everything I know I owe to him. He always always used this and said it was also his favorite tool too. I had forgotten about it as his was very old at the time and honestly I had not thought about it for years until now. THANK YOU for the reminder and for the name… Now I can track one down.