A Day in My Life

Have you ever noticed how many hats you wear as a mom?

Mom, Teacher, Nurse, Chef, Negotiator, Taxi Driver, boo-boo kisser ;), maid, the list goes on and on.

And when you add “farmer’s wife” to that mix, life seems to fly by. Whoever said that living in the country was the slow life certainly wasn’t doing any work. Especially this time of year. Right?

I get this question frequently:

What is a normal day like for you?

First off, is there ever a normal day when you’re a homeschool mom and work in the family business? I would love to know someone who has them.

I’m always at a loss at how to answer this… So I always seem to end up saying something stupid like:

Well, I’m a full-time mom with three kids and we homeschool and we farm.

It doesn’t cut it, does it?

The excitement and different challenges that each day brings is what I love best about farm life. Pretty soon, we’ll start processing chickens every week, then the garden will start producing (i.e. canning season), and then there will be customer pick up days and tour days…I could sooner pick out a single star in the sky and explain to you which one I’m talking about than to tell you about my typical day.

If I said, “Every day we do school, clean house, run laundry, and cook meals.” You might think that my existence is entirely regimented, but when we start adding in all those other things…that’s when life really gets exciting. 🙂

So, here are some pictures of my “normal” day. ha!

How about you? What is a “normal” day in your life?

SheriPermalink

22 Responses to A Day in My Life

1. kelli says:

We own a small-scale urban farm here in sunny Florida as well as homeschool. Some days go by so quickly, I forget to sit down. A few months ago, our dryer burned down therefore, creating another thing on my list of “to dos”…line drying clothes! At first I asked God, “Really? Another thing to have to do?” However, I found that to be such a great prayer time just Him and I. I think that as a homesteading/homeschooling family, it’s almost impossible to have a perfectly layed out schedule where everyday at 9:30, we “do this” and at 11:15, “we do this”. There’s always interruptions, but God gives us those interruptions for a reason and we learn from them. They test our patience and ability. They grow us. Balance is key I think. It’s hard, but I know that God will reward our efforts and bless our bounties. Thanks for taking the time to write on this blog. Fabulous idea for us to see the everyday at Polyface. Got a chance to meet Joel a few weeks ago as he was here in Tampa. What a neat man.

2. Annie Kate says:

Normal days don’t happen if you have any sort of connection with real life, such as kids, animals, weather, and plants. We’re a homeschooling family and we try to have routines, but only the basics ones: meals, sleep, chores, learning time.

Love your kitchen table!

• Mrs H says:

Normal is, I think, what all homeschool families are trying to escape! We don’t like to be boxed in to a regimented schedule … nossirree!!!!

3. Sarah Van Leeuwen says:

Your kitchen table looks like my kitchen table….and I only have two doing school yet! We don’t have a farm (a garden and now chicks, however….). Just what IS a normal day, anyway…..
    I love your blogs, Sheri! Very encouraging! And you’ve got really cute kids…..

4. Tonia says:

Ooooh To be Normal!…. Well that would be boring and just plain no fun!lol.. We have a very loose schedule.. Usually up by 7am, breakfast, devotions and dressed for the day by 8am.. Outside chores and inside chores done by 9am school work from now till they are done. I have 3 teen girls so they work pretty independent now. So along with all of that we have been planting garden and planting garden!lol I was hoping to get chickens and turkeys for meat this year but haven’t been able to yet. We did get two pigs that have been serious trial and error!Lol. So in between chores and school work there has been lots of herding pigs while they are learning to be on pasture. We have dairy goats, chickens and rabbits too. So they all require a good amount of time then all the other things we are involved in like church and 4H(I am the club leader) then we have fairs coming up this summer.. My girls show their animals and 4H projects. So while there is no real normal day. I do try to keep a loose schedule so we can get some things done on a regular basis. I just love when people assume that since we homeschool we have all this time on our hands..LOL.. All well… Cute pictures!!

5. Kerry says:

Funny, I just blogged a couple of weeks ago about being back to “normal” after my husband’s vacation ended. It’s at times like that especially that I wish we were full-time farmers so that our “normal” would include his being home and our working as a family. Someday, I hope. As it is, the care of our rabbits, laying hens, and other critters is mine, as well as the everyday household stuff, so I’m getting some good, if small-scale, experience in juggling chores. Our son is 3, and we will eventually be homeschooling too. I believe it’s more than worth it, but I already know from watching my sister homeschool for the past several years how time-consuming it is. Just have to trust that when the time comes, there will be sufficient grace for us to handle the challenges!

6. Wonderwoman says:

I’m right there with you…I just tell people that everyday is an adventure.

7. Mrs H says:

I’m with you – I don’t think I even know what a normal day is supposed to be! I grew up in a homeschool family with 7 siblings so we never had a single day the same! Right now my days just consist of a mish-mash of yoga, paperwork for the Navy, working on unpacking, more paperwork for the Navy, grocery shopping and menu planning, paperwork for the Navy, getting things ready for the baby to be born and visiting the midwife, paperwork for the Navy, and usually some more paperwork for the Navy.

I love your pictures of the kids hard at work! I have many memories of sitting at the kitchen table working away (longing to go outside and play, a ha!).

8. Kristen says:

Don’t forget to add all the awesome crafty projects you do. You inspire me! <3

9. daisyglitter says:

I am a weird one. I love routine. 🙂 I also teach my kiddos at home and I aspire to be an urban homesteader. Every day may not be the same, but our weeks are in a repeated pattern. I am out the door at 5:00 a.m. to swim for an hour before the kids wake up and then as soon as I set foot in the door around 7:00 a.m., the perpetual-motion-machine begins. It’s breakfast and school (Bible, verse memorization, math, writing, grammar, spelling, reading, history, science, literature – yes, in that order.), daily chores, meal prepping (meal planning is only once a month), bread making (every few days), laundering (Monday and Friday), practice and/or games for the sports that are in season (volleyball/triathlons/running for me; soccer/football for the kids), dinner together as a family, a date night in (Thursdays!), top-to-bottom-crazy-cleaning and yardwork (Friday), church and teaching Sunday school, restart and press repeat. I throw in a little time of reading (Bible in the evening by myself, other books when I get the chance) and try to learn something new all the time (how to speak Finnish, how to make my own toothpaste/makeup/yogurt/cheese, etc.).

I recently found your website because of crunchybetty.com. She went to see Joel speak in Colorado and was raving about him. I read through your website and I love it! When I grow up (more?), I want with all my heart to be a farmer. As I stare out into my backyard, I sigh and think of farmers (like your family) and dream that one day I could do it too. I can’t think of anything more “real” and necessary (besides the Gospel, of course). In the meantime, I will plant my tiny rows and try to keep my dog out of the fencing around my veggies. Whenever you have a rough day, remember that what you’re doing is a worthy task and is the right thing to do (and that a person far away is sighing wistfully at the thought of your surroundings and lifestyle!).

May you continue to glorify God in every aspect of your life!

10. Melissa says:

Your post made me laugh. My daughter goes to the small public school in our small town. My husband works out. I am the resident farmer. We have 65 head of grassfed cattle (that need moving to new pasture all the time), a lot of chickens, meat and layers, turkeys and pigs. Also a large garden and flower beds. I also do about 70 farmers markets a year. I also make everything we eat from scratch. I think I have an active life but I love every busy moment of it. My sisters and friends think I am crazy. One commented today on how stressful my life must be. I was shocked. I said busy yes, stressful no. There is very little stress because everyday I am doing what I really love. A stable life for my husband and daughter and raising great food for people to enjoy.

A normal day hmmm…. Well there is always laundry, cooking, gardening and feeding chores. Add in caring for my father-in-law who has Alzheimer’s disease. When my husbands is on long shifts I have his chores to pick up. We are in expansion mode on the rabbits and chickens right now so add cage building. There is always something to be canned, pickled or frozen. This afternoon there was too good a deal on a calf to pass up so off I went to pickup a 3 day old calf, in my van, too much trouble to pull the trailer…… lol….. laid down a tarp in the back of the van and “T-Bone” was a perfect passenger. Oh, yea and it is between semesters right now. Next week the summer semester starts, I teach math and am a nursing students at the local college.

• MamaShelleyRN says:

I too went to nursing school while homeschooling my 4 kids, stick with it. It is worth the effort!

12. Ewetoo says:

Had this up on my frig. for a long time! “Blessed are the flexible for they shall not break”!! Definitely for the homeschool, farm-running, garden growing, mile a minute mom!

13. Rachel Hershberg says:

Question, Sheri – I am curious why you use the word “processing” chickens rather than “slaughtering.” Is it that people can’t handle it? At first, I didn’t even know what you meant.

My average day, as mom of four, usually involves the juggle of housekeeping, child-raising, exercise, Torah study, socializing, connecting (with people), reading, teaching…

For your list of hats, don’t forget nutritionist, therapist, and Family Record keeper! Wishing you all at Polyface much blessing.

Beit Shemesh, Israel

• Sheri Salatin says:

Yes, that is correct. People don’t like to read words such as “slaughter” or “butcher” any more. Sad, but true.
      Blessings!

• I’ll say slaughter or butcher . . .but after learning how, processing is really a very good descriptive term. It’s not just about the killing. The whole thing is a process! Killing, scalding, plucking, cleaning, chilling. People look at me funny when I tell them it’s fun.

14. Ruth Anton says:

Although I never had kids, I greatly respect parents, especially those who commit to nurturing as well as educating their children. Just being a parent in this day and age has got to be a challenge.
    Right now, a ‘normal’ day for me starts with a very early morning. My husband reports to work at 5am at least one day a week, sometimes 2, and his commute is 40 minutes, so the alarm goes off at 3am. After coffee in bed together, he gets ready and departs. I am always amazed by how much I can accomplish between 4:30 and 7:30, after which I depart to work at my job at a local nursery/garden center. The key, for me at least, is to stay offline during those hours.
    It’s been very rainy here for the last week or so, so I’ve been doing inside stuff . I am looking forward to dryer mornings so I can spend some soft, cool mornings working in our garden.

15. audio design says:

right now my days just consist of a mish-mash of yoga, paperwork for the Navy, working on unpacking, more paperwork for the Navy, grocery shopping and menu planning, paperwork for the Navy, getting things ready for the baby to be born and visiting the midwife, paperwork for the Navy…

16. Bevin Fink says:

Thank you so much for this post! I am a homeschooling mom of four. My children are 14,13,10 and 22months. Your father-in law inspired us three years ago when we saw Food Inc. and my husband and I read The Omnivore’s Dilemma. After that we set to work getting our farm up and going. We read many of Joel’s books, You Can Farm, Pastured Poultry Profits, Salad Bar Beef and most recently Folks This Ain’t Normal. We have successfully completed our first year raising and processing pastured poultry. We raised two batches of 100 broilers; once in the late spring and we just processed our last batch yesterday. I have always wanted to ask you how you handle everything. We would love for our farm to provide 100% of our family’s income, but currently my husband has to work off of the farm until that day comes. He is a paramedic and works shifts that allow him to be home a lot of days, but that still leaves me to manage all of the schooling, house, and farm work many days alone. I’m not complaining, just overwhelmed sometimes. I constantly have to remind myself ( when our school time consists of weeding the garden, feeding our laying hens and broilers) that public schools are praised when they offer hands on learning. Homeschoolers, I feel, forget that we needn’t feel so guilty when a book isn’t opened during school time.

I love ready all of your posts and I noticed the Math U See blocks in your picture. That is the math program we use and love it!

One day we hope to come and visit Polyface. We want to take a lunatic tour because we now can relate to being called lunatics due to the way we do things.