Tomatoes and Peppers

Yesterday I went to a local nursery and got our tomato and pepper plants. It is still a little early to be planting them outside as our last frost date is around the 15th of May, but I had saved one of our hoop houses just for them. It was a perfect day to plant them because it was overcast and raining OUTSIDE.  I love working in the hoop houses on rainy days!

I was thankful for the extra help that I had putting them all in the ground.  It always amazes me how much can get done when you have a couple people to help.  It didn’t take long to put them in the ground!  Afterward they got watered by hand and then we put the drip irrigation down.

This week I harvested the first of the lettuce and spinach from one of the other hoop houses that I filled with early vegetables.  It was glorious to have a fresh salad again!

What are you harvesting from your garden or buying from your local farmer?

Hoop House 1 filled with lettuce, radishes, kale, chard, spinach, sugar snaps, carrots, onions, and mustard.

About Leanna Hale

Leanna Barth, born and raised in NC, first came to Polyface in July 2010 to attend one of the Intensive Discovery Seminars. She loved it so much that she applied for an internship position and was accepted for the 2011 season, after which she took the inventory/gardener position. Before coming to Polyface, she sold produce from her family’s market garden, along with homemade baked goods. This venture was mostly inspired by having read “You Can Farm” by Joel Salatin. Having always loved the outdoors, animals, and gardening Leanna is excited about this coming year, all that she will learn, and how the Lord will use this job later on in her life.
UntaggedPermalink

10 Responses to Tomatoes and Peppers

1. Charlie says:

Leanna,
    I have to share and awesome tool with you. Google- The Hatfield Transplanter at Johnny’s Seeds. I do a lot of the transplanting in our garden by myself and it used to be back breaking work. Occasionally, I would get my family to help but it was still hard work. The Hatfield Transplanter has saved me tons of back breaking hours. I would recommend buying one size larger than they suggest though. I use 36 cell inserts for my tomato transplants and the 2.5″ Hatfield works like a charm.

2. Joe Hernandez says:

Congrats. I too have harvested salad greens (too much arugula this year) and radishes. Both in a cold frame seeded in early Feb. in upstate New York. My peas and beans are up in their mini-hoops. This was a Virginia winter for upstate NY. Thanks for sharing. Tomatoes go out next week, three weeks early. With this climate change you have to make lemonade, right? Joe

3. Is this the same hoophouse that held layers in the winter? That must be like a dream come true for the plants! Does the carbon from the bedding compost the droppings enough that “burning” the plants isn’t a concern?

• Leanna Hale says:

Hi Alison,

Yes, they are the same hoop houses, but we used the tractor and scooped out most of what we put in during the winter and then spread it on the pastures. Underneath is rich black soil. The plants love it!

4. Nita says:

Yep, same here fresh salad this week from the hoophouse. Couldn’t really get by without them!

5. Jessica says:

We recently moved to South Korea (military) and thought we wouldn’t be able to garden this year since we are in an apartment 4 floors up. But we have been thrilled to find plants locally and will be able to use some land around my husband’s office to put them in. Now if I can just figure out the best timing for our area……

6. Maria says:

Right now in our garden in Northern California we’re harvested spring onions, super sweet carrots and herbs: cilantro, parsley, dill, sage, chives, garlic chives. Our lettuce didn’t do well, so we get that from the farmers market. That and beets and oranges. Tis the season for lots of great green salad!

7. Grace says:

Very impressive! You have quite the green thumb! For the record, Johnny’s has a cherry tomato that is divine. I highly recommend it for people who like sweet tomatoes. SUNGOLD. It’s my favorite.

8. Pingback: nouveau maillot equipe de france