The Potato Project

I saw this video for the first time a few weeks ago and I was in awe! I love how a cute little girl with a simple experiment stumbled across the reality of the chemicals used in industrial agriculture.

If this doesn’t make you want to grow your own garden or buy from a trusted farmer, I don’t know what will…

Happy Monday!

About Jill Powers

Jill Powers
JillPermalink

8 Responses to The Potato Project

1. Judith says:

Bravo dear….you did this fabulously! love the smile~ I have blogged about how to grow sweet potatoes..so if you would like to learn more you can go to my blog as well….I am a home school mom & I wonder if you also are home schooled? mom of 5~ nanna to 7~

2. Joann O'Leary says:

I wanted to grow my own sweetpotato starts this years. I tried the very same thing with the same results. I went to Whole Foods and got 3 “organic” sweet potatoes and none of those sprouted either. I contacted Whole Foods to ask if they had been sprayed, the produce mananger said no, it is impossible for sweet potatoes to sprout at home. That makes me wonder about all the “organic” foods we buy at Whole Foods.

3. Sarah says:

Fantastic! I sure hope this sheds some light on the reality of these unsafe and unnatural chemicals that are used on ‘healthy’ food. Thank You to all of you at Polyface!

4. Wow, this is typical of junk grown by industrial agriculture. I grew my own Russets one year in my garden and inoculated them with a healthy VAM Mycorrhizae to colonize the roots. The soil was healthy and composted. The amazing thing for me at the end of the growing period and finally harvesting was that these Russets were hard as a rock and difficult to cut even with a sharp knife and the flavour had a rich strong earthy flavour as opposed to bland store bought potatoes which you have to dump spices or sauces on it to give them any flavour. My iceberg lettuce, which most people also recognize as not so much a flavour item as it simply gives texture to salads, this lettuce was a healthy rich green through several layers of leaves which is unusual for iceberg and it had a strong iron flavour of spinach.

Go figure!

Nice video and glad to see parents getting involved in wholesome projects with their kids.

5. Sally v. Smith says:

Loved the experiment by the little girl. Thank you so much for sharing. Maybe I will talk some of my grandchildren into trying such an experiment. It will be an eye opener for them too.

6. Catherine W. says:

This is a great video!! Thanks for sharing. I just showed my 5 year old and 7 year old and now they want to do this experiment too!!

7. Grace says:

She’s adorable!

8. Mellisa says:

This post is along the lines of a coversation I just had with a close gardener friend. She always used regular potatoes for her ‘seed’ potatoes. I asked this year if she had any idea where we could buy seed potatoes because the ones at the store/market are treated. This year we have bought actual seed potatoes. Can’t wait to get them in the ground and growing!